Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Water Hoses - ???
givemethebighammer

posted on 18/5/04 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Water Hoses - ???

Just met a small snag, I am using a micra radiator which has 25mm outlets. My Zetec water pump has a 44mm outlet and my water rail has a 32mm outlet.

So ideally need 1 x 44mm to 25mm 90 degree reducing elbow, 1 x 25 to 25 mm 45 degree elbow, 1 x 32 mm to 25 mm reducing elbow and some of the original Micra hoses.

However samco don't make a 44 to 25mm reducing elbow OR any 45 degree reducing elbows.

I can just see this pipework being a complete mess of multiple joints etc. How has anyone else done this.

Or is it possible to put some sort of reducer in the end of a larger bore pipe. If so I will just buy some of those flexible pipes and do this. Rescued attachment pipe reduce.JPG
Rescued attachment pipe reduce.JPG

wicket

posted on 18/5/04 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Proven Products used to list a 45 to 25mm straight reducer if thats any good.

http://www.proven-products.co.uk

splitrivet

posted on 18/5/04 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
How about a plumbers merchants they are both standard water pipe sizes.
youd probably have to use a short piece of 25 mill hose to connect tho.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

James

posted on 18/5/04 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've just gone through this to connect a Pinto to a Micra rad.

I sourced all the bits to do it with copper pipe- even used York fittings or olives so as to give the jube' clips something to go around. Even convinced my mate who's a plumber to come and solder them for me.

After all that though it was easier (and nicer lookin) to TIG weld my own out of stainless! I took the smaller piece and splayed the end out somewhat and then bent in the edges of the larger piece of tube. Once the two fitted together nicely I just TIG'd them together. Put three blobs of weld around the hose end to give the Jubilee clip something to hold against.

HTH,

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/5/04 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
strange isnt it. You are a certified welder who can tig watertight joints, but yer cant solder plumbing joints!!!

Im the exact opposite most precise soldering I have ever done was surface mount ICs using a microscope as an aid, on a 0.0625 inch pitch (I think thats about 0.6mm?)

atb

steve

James

posted on 18/5/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
strange isnt it. You are a certified welder who can tig watertight joints, but yer cant solder plumbing joints!!!

One of my best mates is a plumber (he's also my kick-boxing instructor) so it struck me as wise that he made a contribution to the cause! Better still he also had all the bits kicking around the back of his van! I've never solder a plumbing joint in my life!

quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
Im the exact opposite
steve

I'm tall, good-looking and don't have sex with donkeys so I see your point!

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/5/04 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
We dont have donkeys in northants .... they all got exported to the west london area

to be honest, being in electronics I can solder. However, I never buy those solder type connections. They are too unforgiving. When I did my first hous up in the early 80s I had to re plumb a lot of the house. If you dont get the solder to flow properly, you cant reheat the joint once the pipe is full of water cos it takes the heat away.

I found em too much agro.

atb

steve

givemethebighammer

posted on 18/5/04 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
wicket - whereabouts on that site was the reducer I couldn't see it. Thought standard water pipe sizes were 28mm and 22mm ? might be wrong.

Thanks given me some ideas to go on

splitrivet

posted on 19/5/04 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by givemethebighammer
standard water pipe sizes were 28mm and 22mm ? might be wrong.

They are, but they are internal pipe diameter, so a 22 mill solder fitting is roughly 26 mill outside diameter give or take, youve got the pipe wall plus the fitting wall to take into account. As James said he got fixed up out of the back of his mates van so a proper plumbers merchants with a shelf load of reducers bound to have what you need.
There is a bigger size than 28 mill but cant remember the exact dimension.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 19/5/04 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

ned

posted on 19/5/04 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
With all those donkeys in west london it's no wonder merlin hasn't been seen for ages. then again, i'm sure james and i are glad that we're in guildford, which is south of london.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/5/04 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
thats close enuf for my returned pi$$ take to be valid

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by ned
With all those donkeys in west london it's no wonder merlin hasn't been seen for ages. then again, i'm sure james and i are glad that we're in guildford, which is south of london.

Ned.

givemethebighammer

posted on 20/6/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Got this sorted with the help of my friendly local engineer (actually a job on the side when his boss was out )

Two very nice machined reducers one 44mm to 25mm and one 32mm to 25mm..

Rescued attachment reducer1.jpg
Rescued attachment reducer1.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.