Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TRACK TIPS?
vtecmike

posted on 25/5/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
TRACK TIPS?

Hi everyone, as the title says really,
i went on track saturday with the prototype we have built, same sort of thing as an atom,
its got 260bhp turbo lump, but wasn t running properly.

the problem i kept having was tryng to keep the arse end in line through the corners!

all i done was spent the hole day drifting!
its great fun but the tyres don t like it and slows the lap times down

it isnt because im on the power either ,my mate thinks im on the brakes a little too long entering the corner could that be the reason?
how do you take a corner properly in a midi style car then?

all track tips welcome as im really keen to learn from peoples experiences

thanks mike

SeanStone

posted on 25/5/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Being smooth is critical. Your brake application can be hard but the transition between coming off the braking, steering angle and throttle application have got to be very smooth, especially with that sort of torque and power.

You can't rule out throttle application causing your problems unless it is happening when you aren't even touching it.

Set up wise, you could make sure your toe setting are ok at the rear.

If you are on the brakes too long, then maybe you have too much rear brake bias. But logic suggests that being on 'too long' shouldnt be the problem if it doesnt happen straight away.

Corner exit is far more important than your entry in terms of lap time. Get on the brakes earlier and try and maintain good apex speed but focus on getting the power down smoothly. Only apply the power if you know you don't have to take it off again. If you are constantly on and off then you are really upsetting the balance of the car.

bi22le

posted on 25/5/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Try slowing your entrance speed down.

If your on the brakes too long and then turn in your back end will be light and likely to wonder, especially with a midi set up.

If your back end starts off unbalanced it will end up unbalanced.

brake in a straight line, gentle turn in then power on to drive through the apex.

If you get a fast exit it will greatly increase the lap times.

HTH and is not patronizing (or incorrect!)

Oh and practice! Get climatised to high speed. I know Im not and thats why I need practice!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

norfolkluego

posted on 25/5/10 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
Only apply the power if you know you don't have to take it off again. If you are constantly on and off then you are really upsetting the balance of the car.

I know Jackie Stewart said that (and he's probably a better driver than me !!!) but I'm not sure I always agree. Thats's his driving style, other good drivers will feather the throttle to control the back end, you've got to be good mind (better than me anyway) but you're right about smooth, that's always the quick way round

[Edited on 25/5/10 by norfolkluego]

SeanStone

posted on 25/5/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think feathering is a little different to being on and off.

1:50 onwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtaV_cOGgTM

norfolkluego

posted on 25/5/10 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
I think feathering is a little different to being on and off.

1:50 onwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtaV_cOGgTM

Agreed, and that's why Schumi's Schumi and I'm me, he feathers and I'm on and off.

SeanStone

posted on 25/5/10 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
lol thats not really what i was getting at. the key is to focus on being smooth and firstly work on your exit, then find the limits of your entry. it will make it a lot easier to find out what could be sending you sideways
OX

posted on 25/5/10 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose it could be loads of things ,mapping,suspension,taking the corner line wrong but if it was'nt doing it when your friend drove it then id say you have a heavy foot ,you want to ease the power on and not just stamp it to floor
adithorp

posted on 26/5/10 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
With 260bhp and a mid engined car weighing 5-600kg ?? I'd expect that to be sideways city!

What tyres are you using?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

skinned knuckles

posted on 26/5/10 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
i'd ask someone who does a lot of track days to have a blast round in it to give his opinion on your setup. maybe you could ask your friendly local race instructor. most of these guys have a very strokable ego and the thought of being asked their incredibly valuble opinion tends to work a treat.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

vtecmike

posted on 28/5/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the posts, its given me a few things to consider,
i know i need more practise, thats for sure, we found out why we didnt have full power, the wastegate wasnt working properly so we werent getting any boost!!

at the moment we ve got hankook road tyres fitted, but when ive destroyed them we will get some semi slicks fitted!

all your thoughts and experiences are very interesting to read do please keep them coming,
whats feathering the throttle? why? and how?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.