Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Perhaps a stupid question?
the man with a plan

posted on 10/6/04 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps a stupid question?

Hi,

I've just bought a 2l pinto lump and T9 gearbox off ebay for £5.50. I was wondering what the best method of transporting it would be? The gearbox has been removed from the engine, which probably makes things easier.

Will i need to buy a hoist for moving it about?

Thanks

200mph

posted on 10/6/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
is liftable with 2 people, obviously the engine is a fair bit heavier

but 3 is probably recommended

Mark

the man with a plan

posted on 10/6/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I was worried about was it knackering the rear shocks of my other car if i were to put it in the boot, and if so how to secure it to prevent it denting the wings or causing other damage.

Thanks

Peteff

posted on 10/6/04 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's not that heavy, three decent sized passengers would weigh more. The engine won't move far if it's on its side and the gearbox will wedge in with it if you're in a hatchback. You'll definitely need a hoist to get it out with though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

the man with a plan

posted on 10/6/04 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Its a Saab 9000, so space should not be a problem.

Although needing a hoist to get it out, is one required to get it in?

Cheers

bob

posted on 10/6/04 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Its a heavy old lump the pinto,i bruised some ribs lifting mine out the side door of a transit.

It would probably be easier in and out of a van,i put engine on an upturned pallet so it was trapped between the wooden legs for transporting.

the man with a plan

posted on 10/6/04 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of buying an engine stand anyway for ease of rebuilding the engine if required, with this could I get it in and out of the back of an estate?

btw, good plan with the pallette, bob

thanks

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 11/6/04 at 05:44 AM Reply With Quote
pinto alone is =- 115 2 120 kg gearbox is 25 2 30 kgs think.........but thats not the real problem.........its the oil that will leak out that will trash the boot. best drain it or have a heavy sheet to contain any spills.

as for handling engine cranes are a good investment saving a lot of grief and accidents cost money....the engine stand is a must at 30 quid

[Edited on 11-6-04 by mangogrooveworkshop]

SeaBass

posted on 11/6/04 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Man with a plan, you really need an engine crane to install the engine on the engine stand. The stand will be of no use to use when trying to move the Pinto in and out of a car. Also worth bearing in mind that to attach the engine to the stand you normally have to remove the flywheel to give enough clearance when using the bellhouse bolt holes. I've seen people with the engine attached on the engine mount hole but this isn't ideal.

Cheers

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/6/04 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
As for getting it in or out, its got to be a crane or several willing volunteers. I found the best way of protecting the car is loads of old carpet, chat up your local carpet fitter, he will be more than willing to let you take the stuff away

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 11/6/04 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
the subframe from the front of the donor makes a perfect stand for the engine, though the sump will hit the ground until you chop it i think. two pieces of wood wil raise it enough.

a frame and pulleys if the cheapest way to move engines reliably. you can throw one together for a few quid.

greggors84

posted on 12/6/04 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt worry about the engine weighing to much for the car. I had to go a pick a mate up from stafford, then picked up a pinto from Jonty in stoke, then on the way back (slight detour!) picked up 5 caterham 16" wheels and tyres. All in the back of a Rover 200 hatchback. Still drove fine, just had to watch i didnt brake too hard other wise the wheels would have knocked us in the back of the head!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.