Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ot networking two computers
speedyxjs

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ot networking two computers

I have a PC and a lappy that needs networking at work. PC is running XP and only has one Ethernet socket, lappy is running Vista and also has one Ethernet socket.

Now networking shouldn't be a problem except we also neet broadband on both computers and although the lappy is wireless, the PC isnt.

Is there any way to network these via the internet?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

dan__wright

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
easiest way is to get a router for your Internet connection, something a like a netgear or linksys otherwise you will have to fiddle with a number of settings on each and you wont be able to use the laptop wireless

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

speedyxjs

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dan. Any idea what settings need changing?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

dan__wright

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
you would need to give each machine a static ip, gateway dns etc and then share the Internet connection from one of the machine but without knowing your setup i cant say how you would do it.

it will also give you wireless so laptop connects wirelessly, desktop via a cable, it also means you dont have to have the pc with the internet connection switched on to be able to access the Internet on the other machine.

if you have adsl most providers give them out when you join

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Davey D

posted on 5/10/10 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
To do what you want using minimal parts ( in this case a Cat5 X-over cable) connect to the internet wirelessly with the laptop, then connect the laptop to the desktop using the X-over cable, and then enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the laptop.

Im sure there will be loads of guides on the net describing to you step by step what to do

mad4x4

posted on 5/10/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
To do what you want using minimal parts ( in this case a Cat5 X-over cable) connect to the internet wirelessly with the laptop, then connect the laptop to the desktop using the X-over cable, and then enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the laptop.

Im sure there will be loads of guides on the net describing to you step by step what to do

Instead of buying a cross cable - buy a small network switch for about £12.

or

why no get a wiresdongle linky

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

jossey

posted on 5/10/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
cheapest way

pcmcia wireless card for the lappy.

£6 + vat

sorted.

then it will network wirelessly.

dave j

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 5/10/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a wireless broadband router if so connect the router to the pc with a cat5 lead (not crossover). Connect the lappy with wireless to the router. Then use windows network set up wizard allow file and printer sharing and off you go simples.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

GreigM

posted on 5/10/10 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D

This is the way I'd recommend....means you're not messing about with IP addresses manually...

scottfraser

posted on 5/10/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
as some have said use a crossover cat-5 cable to connect both computers. Setup fixed ip address, best to use 192.168.*.* or from the 10.10.*.* range. then control panels, sharing, setup a share folder on both computer following the simple instructions Windows will give you and you're good to go

Hope that helps!

Scott

coozer

posted on 5/10/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Have you got a wireless broadband router if so connect the router to the pc with a cat5 lead (not crossover). Connect the lappy with wireless to the router. Then use windows network set up wizard allow file and printer sharing and off you go simples.
Cheers,
Bob

I've done that with my Sky router adn its not very clever. Wireless connection of the lappy is intermittent more often not and shared folders are sometimes visible and sometimes not.

However with a cat5 cable the pc and lappy share the adsl no problem. Just means theres cables all ower the floor!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

splitrivet

posted on 5/10/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Cheers,
Bob

I've done that with my Sky router adn its not very clever. Wireless connection of the lappy is intermittent more often not and shared folders are sometimes visible and sometimes not.

However with a cat5 cable the pc and lappy share the adsl no problem. Just means theres cables all ower the floor!

As a guy that runs data cables for a living I'd agree but there again we cant stick a bill in to someone if they've done it via wireless !!
Probable reason your having problems is distance/quality of router lots do it and it isnt an issue.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.