Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Diversity Electrics
Howlor

posted on 6/10/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Diversity Electrics

Evening All,

If there are any sparks in the house tonight I am wondering what you think to applying diversity to a hob and oven installation. The reason for the question is that I have a hob currently supplied by 6mm2 cable about 5m from the CU and run in the floor void then in the wall plaster. This radial is protected by a 32A mcb.

I am installing an oven and hob at the same side of the kitchen and therefore need to know if I need to call in a spark to run me another radial from the CU although this will be rather difficult. The new combination is rated at 8400w and 4400w hence giving 55.6A at full power and 230v. Researching on the net says that applying diversity is perfectly acceptable although you then read another site and it says it is not that wise.

Diversity will give 28.5A and therefore the 32A 6mm2 cable will be adequate. I would then have one of the correct 6mm2 splitter plates fitted that are correct for this application.

What are your thoughts before I get my local spark round?

Thanks,
Steve

big-vee-twin

posted on 6/10/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
So long as the cable is protected with the correct fuse it will not be dangerous, the down side is the device tripping when you turn everything on to cook christmas dinner.

Applying diversity is not an exact science and you really need to use your knowledge of how the appliance will be used, there is guidance given in the Regs which you have probabily looked at.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

MakeEverything

posted on 6/10/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, check out the regs. Theres a whole section of diversity in there, which will give you the answer you need.

Personally, i wouldnt apply diversity to an oven / Cooker Switch radial, as it is likely that all hobs and the fan oven would be used at the same time each christmas / sunday etc.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

slingshot2000

posted on 6/10/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Part 'P' of the Building Regulations . . . . . . . »

You do realise that if this work is in a kitchen, then it is a 'Notifiable' job ,( a room containg water and electricity)!
I.E.; if you are not qualified to do this and then certify the job (test and issue certificates), YOU MUST; 'notify your local council that YOU are about to undertake the work BEFORE you start' !
They will decide how much to charge you to test and inspect YOUR work!

Lowcost answer; If it was me doing it the job for a 'mate', I would use the existing circuit to power the oven and install a new 20amp circuit for the hob!
Less than 5 metres from the consumer unit is not going to cost much, unless your 'mate' is robbing you for 4.omm cable!
I havent bought 4.0mm for over 25 years, its so un-used.
6.0mm is not a lot more money and fulfils the circuit requirements so much more often.
That hob needs to have it's own 20amp circuit! That would only just pass all tests on 4.0mm, but I would have thrown in a 6.00mm circuit for it, it is after all only 5 yards, less than 5quid for the cable!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.