Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: subaru rad question?
boggle

posted on 30/10/10 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
subaru rad question?

hi everyone

my girlfriend has just bought an 02 wrx wagon from a garage. when we took it for a test drive we noticed it had steam coming from the front . we looked with the sales person and noticed the expansion bottle lid was loose so assumed it was this....

a week later we have gone to pick the car up and found that it is infact the radiator. it has a split along the top, just to the right of the top hose. my worry is, what has caused this? im concerned that the headgasket may be leaking across the bore to the water gallery and has compressed the cooling system...are radiator faults a common occurance on the bugeye model? the garage has agreed to replace the rad, but im worried that she is going to get headgasket issues...

all input appreciated

thanks

Barry

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

meany

posted on 30/10/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest, in my 8 years of ownership, ive not heard of a rad splitting, i could ask around for you on the other forums.

Is there not a product/tool that tests for this.

[Edited on 30/10/10 by meany]

iank

posted on 30/10/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Get the coolant gas tested to see if it's been pressurised, though probably too late if they've changed the rad.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

meany

posted on 30/10/10 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
got a reply for you.

"common on UK cars yes due to good old road salt, also happens alot to front mounted intercoolers..............ask her to get them to perform a cylinder leak test and system pressure test after the Radiator has been changed "

marcjagman

posted on 30/10/10 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
If in doubt, RAC AA check or walk away.
dlatch

posted on 30/10/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
have heard on this problem on the scooby before there was also issue with early header tanks splitting (were made from some fruity plastic that broke down with age)

any rad that has plastic endcaps won't last forever but its a buyers market for them cars atm if in doubt walk away

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
meany

posted on 30/10/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
ive had another owner say the same and i can confirm it is a common problem.
just get it tested when a newone is fitted.

And like dlatch says, its a buyers market out there at the moment, i would just walk away.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.