Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Mounts
SeanStone

posted on 22/11/10 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Mounts

This christmas i'm hoping to get my engine and gearbox mounted in the chassis, which will involve some custom mounting.

Are there any stock materials that are good for use as an engine mount in terms of shock absorption? I don't think I want to solid mount the S2000 engine

Also, any ideas if this welder will be worth getting? It's considerable cheaper than the equivalent on machine mart, which naturally worries me.

Wolf Mig 140 Gas/No Gas Mig welder + kit on eBay (end time 20-Dec-10 13:16:27 GMT)9

cliftyhanger

posted on 23/11/10 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Jag engine mounts (as used on caterhams) seem a handy shape/choice.

As for welders, price is not the first thing I would worry about. If you want a budget mig, clarke are regarded as about the best. Look on the welding forums here

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

I bought this machine a year or so ago
CLARKE PRO GAS/GASLES 150 AMP PRO GARAGE MIG WELDER on eBay (end time 09-Dec-10 14:11:33 GMT)

vastly superior to the SIP I had before (sip/cosmo the same machines, wolf maybe too?? I know wolf are tail end of the market) However in many ways I wish I had a better machine, but cannot justify the outlay (butters do a mid range jobbie that looks handy)
You need a machine with a reliable wire feed (ie not sip!) to have half a chance of getting a decent weld. I like a auto-darkening mask too, though some professional welders I know can't abide them. Personal choice I guess....

wilkingj

posted on 23/11/10 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Engine Mount Rubber. Cheap and very good.

Available from http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Engine_Parts/Engine_mounting_rubber_-_3.5_V8_Carb.html

I have been sing this company for over 20 years, cheap reasonable service. I have no connection with the company other than as a customer.

Engine Mount Rubber
Engine Mount Rubber

Hope this helps.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeanStone

posted on 23/11/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Would I be able to extend the thread on that?
Bluemoon

posted on 23/11/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
Would I be able to extend the thread on that?

I doubt it (prob not impossible but not worth the effort). Standard sierra ones have longer threads.

Normally the engine mounts are made from 3mm+ plate at the ends so there is enough thread.

dhutch

posted on 23/11/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Engine Mount Rubber. Cheap and very good.

Available from http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Engine_Parts/Engine_mounting_rubber_-_3.5_V8_Carb.html

Engine Mount Rubber
Engine Mount Rubber

Yep, thats what i have, although bought via email from an unknown source.
- Fairly stiff while giving some isolation and damping, works for me anyway, solid mounting is for fools imo!
- They may do with and without, but contray to the image, i know that mind certainy doesnt have an interleaf in it.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.