Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Stamping
femster87

posted on 23/11/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Stamping

Just after some information of engine stamping with a pre 95 engine number. Is this just a case of tracking down a dead engine block with suitable number age and using its number. Whats Ford/IVA take on that.

Thanks in advance for the info

flak monkey

posted on 23/11/10 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
If it looks tampered with you'll never get it registered.

Also bear in mind enough IVA inspectors read this site to know whats going on.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

femster87

posted on 23/11/10 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
thanks dave,

The engine does not have a number at the moment. just deciding if to buy or not

AndyW

posted on 23/11/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
If the engine does not have a number, does that mean its been ground off? There is a way of bringing a ground off number back, so be very careful. If you stamp another number over it then it will have to be a very good job not to stick out and be obvious. If the engine is for sale without a number then it needs to be really cheap....
steve m

posted on 23/11/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
"Also bear in mind enough IVA inspectors read this site to know whats going on. "

If they do, and i really do doubt it, why dont we have a section for questions and answer's on the IVA related subjects.

I would imagine that most IVA test guy's want a pass and out the door approach, as it wil be less work ?

Steve

big_wasa

posted on 23/11/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Replacement engines sold by ford never had an engine number stamped. The dealer was meant to stamp the number on, on exchange.

As time is money most never bothered. It wasnt going to worry the owner.

You could stamp it on but you will never get it to look factory. If you take the wee and put a 93 number on a black top he will know. He looks at these day in and day out for aliving.

As long as you can meet emisions I wouldn worry.

flak monkey

posted on 23/11/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
"Also bear in mind enough IVA inspectors read this site to know whats going on. "

If they do, and i really do doubt it, why dont we have a section for questions and answer's on the IVA related subjects.

I would imagine that most IVA test guy's want a pass and out the door approach, as it wil be less work ?

Steve

We do, its called SVA/Legal

They have been known to look on this site, as well as others, before now.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

myke pocock

posted on 23/11/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
You could always be totally up front and ask your local IVA tester what to do. It would mean he is aware of it but if you cannot get an answer why not go and get another engine. Is it an engine that wasnt made after 95. My SVA tester said that he knew that x flows (I have a 1300 in mine) were only made up to a certain time so didnt even need to check and verify the number. Not all testers as helpful as him though. My x flow engine number looks decidedly dodgy but is definately kosher and I actually stamped a number in a Triumph Spit engine block that had come from a training workshop. It wasnt questioned by a DVLA inspector. (now Ive given the game away!!!!!)
femster87

posted on 23/11/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks for the reply am gonna keep my blacktop. was considering a 1.8 silvertop that was from Ginetta. Was just trying to get by emissions requirements cheaply
big_wasa

posted on 23/11/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
You shouldnt have any problems if you use that eec-4 and a cat.
femster87

posted on 23/11/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
lol, I know warren. The work on the eec-4 has been on hold for sometime now. One of those times in the year when moral is low. Would get it out when xmas break starts. The garage is soo cold right now I dont even want to get close to the place.
big_wasa

posted on 23/11/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yep wheel mine out sunday to bolt the seats in. It started to rain so I put it back again lol.

Its about this time every year I want to sell it and by a sporty tintop.

austin man

posted on 23/11/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
the stamping on the silvertops are hard to see as some of them are a series of dots making letters and numbers located just above the starter motor on the flange where block meets bellhousing

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

austin man

posted on 23/11/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
the stamping on the silvertops are hard to see as some of them are a series of dots making letters and numbers located just above the starter motor on the flange where block meets bellhousing

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

AdrianH

posted on 23/11/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Please bear in mind that the engine number on a silvertop may not be stamped as in letter stamps but could be a series of what I would describe as etched dots. see this image from mine. i had to use wet and dry then a camera to see it, I previously thought there was no number?

Zetec engine no
Zetec engine no

I blanked out the last digits so could not be used although an April 96 is not sought after

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.