Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: x16xe engine
dai1983

posted on 19/6/04 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
x16xe engine

I was at newark today and saw an Indy with the 1.6 16v engine instead of the red top. I'm now considering this as the injection system fits under the bodywork so i wont need to buy carbs (should be lighter + cheaper on insurance to).

Is anyone familiar with this car and would i need to modify the sump for it to have good clearance?

Should've asked at the show but you know how it is!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 19/6/04 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Dai,

Is this a Vauxhall engine? I've been looking at the red top too but have been put off by the cost of the carbs/throttle bodies. Have you got any more details such as photos or engine specs?

Thanks

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dai1983

posted on 20/6/04 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

yes it is the vauxhall engine. I know quite a bit about it from the corsasport.co.uk forum. It has 109bhp if im correct and is found in vectras, astras and corsas.

When vauxhall were developing it they found that it would produce 150bhp, the same as the red top. Vauxhall then resticted it so that it wouldnt embarass the bigger engine.

Ive heard that changing the inlet manifold will give good gains in power. Throttle bodies are also available for it.

Really confused about what to do now as it would be cheaper in the short term (also less hastle and lighter!) but think i would prefer a 180bhp red top with carbs £200-400 extra.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 20/6/04 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going for a cheap and easy build to begin with just to get on the road, so I'm using a Pinto, then I'm looking at a red top with either carbs or throttle bodies as soon as I can afford it. I reckon it could cost a couple of grand easy enough for a full install

Pete

[Edited on 20/6/04 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.