Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fireblade ignition
knight

posted on 20/6/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
fireblade ignition

hi everyone just got back from newark.

ive still got two problems ,how do you wire up a ignition warning lamp for this engine ?ive used the orginal blade clocks and it does not have ignition warning (i.e the light goes off when the engine starts.

and the other problem was the indictors flash fast as if theres a bulb out but there isnt,im using all l.e.d lamps.they flash normal when i put the hazards on ,but to fast when indicating left or right

thanks for your help
simon

alister667

posted on 20/6/04 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Does the oil pressure warning light not come on when in the ignition position then go out (hopefully) when you start the engine? That's what I use for an iginition light.

I'm not sure about the indicator problem.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
knight

posted on 21/6/04 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
yes the oil pressure warning light does work as it should i suppose i could link in another wire from that upto another warning light ? i am right in saying that the ignition light should be working correctly for the mot as in they will check it
JoelP

posted on 21/6/04 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
what flasher system are you using? is it illegally fast or just annoyingly fast? you could conceal an extra bulb on each side, though the hazards will slow down too.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/6/04 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knight

and the other problem was the indictors flash fast as if theres a bulb out but there isnt,im using all l.e.d lamps.they flash normal when i put the hazards on ,but to fast when indicating left or right

Simon,

Most standard indicator units are set up to drive a fixed load, usually 2 x 21W for the main indicators, 1 x 5W for the side repeater, and 1W or 2W for the panel light. Any variation and the speed will change (this is why they flash faster when a bulb has blown). It may be that the LED indicators don't provide enough load.

Many modern hazard flasher units are electronic and will flash at a constant rate. This allows them to function even when half the bulbs have been smashed in a crash.

So, the answer is to use an electronic flasher unit, use bulb indicators, or add resistors (or bulbs) until the lights flash at the correct rate.

cheers,

David

spunky

posted on 21/6/04 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
LED's have a tiny load compared to flament bulbs.
AFAIK there is no requirement at SVA or MOT for an ignition light. I don't have one and it wasn't pointed out at either.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

knight

posted on 21/6/04 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
hi
the flashers flash too fast as in illegal fast blown bulb ,some one was saying to me that you could put a resistor pack in the indicator wiring to get the correct speed,but that still doesnt explain why they all work fine on the hazard light side of things.
i guess i should start with putting a concealed bulb in somewhere and see what happens

knight

posted on 21/6/04 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
im using the hella type l.e.d lamps at the back all one piece clear,ive also seen them fitted on a red double decker bus !!
cheers
simon

Hellfire

posted on 21/6/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
You could always wire a buzzer in line to sap some of that energy thereby slowing down the rate of flash's. Also, it reduces the chance of being a nuisance to other drivers when you may have inadvertently left them on. Either that or use resistors/or an electronic flasher unit as stated. IMHO

knight

posted on 22/6/04 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
ive run a ignition live to one side of by bulb for ignition warning and then used a link wire from the oil pressure warning light wire as the earth seems to work at moe ,its not proper i know

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.