Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cortina Brakes
albertz

posted on 29/6/04 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cortina Brakes

Does anyone have an exploded view of a Cortina M16 caliper, including brake pads.

I didn't really want to admit this, but i have just spent about 2-3 hours trying to fit the bloody brake pads without success!!!!

Unfortunately the calipers did not have pads when i got them and i can't fathom how they go together, i seem to have 2 springs left over........

It's a bit embarassing when you have built your own car from scratch and cant fit a set of pads

On the plus side, i have roughed in my 4AGE wiring and turned the engine over, gave her some fuel, pumped the fuel to the engine, spluttered a bit, then the battery died, but it sounds as if i am a 24 hour charge away from hearing it purr Major excitement

Any help with the brakes appreciated, someone has to help me after making a fool of myself.

Cheers

Oh, and my nosecone, bonnet and scuttle are supposed to be arriving tomorrow [after being diverted wrongly to Glasgow for a couple of days]

Peteff

posted on 29/6/04 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Put the two pins through and throw the springs away.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

locoboy

posted on 30/6/04 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Good god thats a scary sight pete!

What are these ficticious springs? i have never had them on mine, would be interested to see them. Are they anti rattle thingys?

ATB
Locoboy

britishtrident

posted on 30/6/04 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
The springs are anti-rattle springs they fit on to the tag o the pads and under the pin --- not really required.

All 70s ford suffered badly from the pads jamming in the caliper -- When fiting Cortina pads make sure all the crap is cleaned out from the guide slot on the caliper to ensure the pads can move freely in the caliper. -- --- file the edges of pad backing plates if they are tight.

psylsph

posted on 30/6/04 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
At the MOT the tester pointed out that mine were rattling, hadn't been able to work of what it wsa myself. Anyway he sent me to the local motor factors for a shim set. Comes with 4 shims and 2 springs. Couldn't work out the spring either but shims do work and stop rattling.
locoboy

posted on 30/6/04 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
having a pinto and the exhaust stuck in my ear i cant hear a bloody thing let alone a rattle from the extreme front of the car

ATB
Locoboy

NS Dev

posted on 30/6/04 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, chuck the springs, but use the shims, these must be fitted the right way up (see the arrow) They are not there to stop rattling, but rather stop "grab". If you look at them they are cut away at one side, the effect of this is to present the trailing edge of the pad to the disc first to prevent snatching of the brakes.
britishtrident

posted on 30/6/04 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
The shims are fitted to purely stop squeal, they have no effect on braking efficiency but a beneficial effect on the old ear drums.
albertz

posted on 30/6/04 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, its good to know that i am not the only one confused by these springs and shims

I have used the shims and put them in the correct way, as per the arrows.

The springs are now safely tucked away in the cupboard, soon to be lost.

Update on the supposed starting of the engine...........turned and turned with the odd backfire. I have checked the valve timing and everything is correct, the plugs are sparking, the engines getting fuel but nothing much happens except the odd ignition which sets the whole engine bay on fire (well almost). I should really get a bit more of my exhaust sorted out.....

Bodywork arrived this afternoon, its starting to actually look like a car!!!!!!

Cheers

NS Dev

posted on 30/6/04 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Best just to check that your ignition timing is not 180 deg out, silly point but I've done it enough times!! That'll give nice sparks and lovely backfires but no running!!
albertz

posted on 1/7/04 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks i will check the timing. I had the distributor off the engine and cannot remember replacing it in any special position with regards to the pistons........mmmmmmmmmmm...........that just might have something to do with it

Sometimes i scare myself

David Jenkins

posted on 1/7/04 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
You're scared... imagine how we feel!

Only kidding...

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.