Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which loom for my MK?
john_p_b

posted on 8/7/04 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
which loom for my MK?

ok i know the obvious choice is the loom that MK sell but it seems well expencive compared to others!

was looking on the lolocost website and they do a loom for 75 quid or on the luego site there is one for somewhere around 100 quid with fuse box.....could i fit one of these in my MK? has anyone used a different loom or just gone for the one from manufacturer?

maybe seeming tight with the cash i know but when it's a possible saving of 50 odd quid i just think of what i could buy with that!

thanks in advance

john

nick205

posted on 8/7/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
John,

I've nearly finished wiring up my Indy with the Vicki Green wiring loom from Lolocost. It has been relatively easy to fit and came with a good information sheet.

2 things to bear in mind....

1. This loom is designed for a Sierra Pinto engined car (which I'm using) if you're doing something different it may need modifying.

2. You will need to wire in 3 or 4 additional relays and fuses for things like horn, lights and fan.

Hope that helps!

Nick

bob

posted on 8/7/04 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
many have made there own looms from the old sierra donor or even from scratch,i just couldnt get my head round it and found the premier wiring loom was the best £100 i spent on the car.
It just made the whole electrical system very easy to fit,and alan at premier wiring is allways at the end of the phone if you need help.(freephone number as well)

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you are not into the leccy side of things buy your loom. Less possible faults on the road later on.

JoelP

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
as bob says, its all about getting your head round it. If you can, then the best course is make your own. Its much cheaper and obviously you will know it inside out for future reference. If you cant understand the planning behind the loom, i guess you may as well buy one. it is easier than it sounds though!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MK7

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Unless the MK loom has changed recently (i.e. this year) then you will find that there's quite a bit of work to do to get it to work (if you're using Sierra switch gear).

For example you will need to add a minimum of 2 relays (I added 3), re-wire the horn (Or ensure that the horn case doesn't touch chassis earth) add a wire for the alternator (to provide the field current) and so on.

knight

posted on 8/7/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
hi ya
i used a premier wiring loom ,and the loom from the fireblade if thats what your putting in

scutter

posted on 8/7/04 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto the premier wiring loom, top quality and easy to read instructions.

Plus premier will send you some free terminations when you'e worked out what you need.

All the best Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 8/7/04 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
The Premier loom is that good I'm sure they must have a owners club somewhere. Backup from Premier is 1st class, the bloke gives you the answer before you've finished telling him the problem!
paulbeyer

posted on 8/7/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Deffo a Premier loom. I sent them my switch gear plugs when I placed my order and the loom arived with the multiplugs wired in.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

john_p_b

posted on 9/7/04 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
ok cheers guys.

building my own loom is kinda not something i really wanna take on, i've just spent the afternoon ripping out a loom from a old sierra for a guy at work to use on his RH.....SOD THAT! there is so much sitting there that just isn't going to get used!

so premier is the way to go? website anyone or a contact number etc?

john

bob

posted on 9/7/04 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Premier wiring systems

0800 0742789 (not sure if this still works but worth a try)

http://www.premierwiring.co.uk

They are situated in Woking,Guildford.
and work from home.

tractorboy

posted on 9/7/04 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
drop a guy called elitewiring a u2u im sure he can help you .top quality work and reasonably priced for the standard of loom. hes very good and knows his stuff.
Staple balls

posted on 9/7/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
i used a premier loom, seems very good so far, and i thing gtstuning is a reseller now

subk2002

posted on 9/7/04 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Me and colibriman just wired my r1 up to a vicki greem loom and it was pretty straight forward even easy'r if you had a pinto engine good diagram and a web site.

Cheers Drew

john_p_b

posted on 10/7/04 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
changed mind already going to order a vicki green loom on monday along with a few other bits and pieces

been trying to hold out and save a few quid before i go spending more money but it's only been sitting in the garage a week and already i'm getting frustrated at the lack of action so it's time to spend

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.