Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V6 2.9 problem
marcjagman

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
V6 2.9 problem

Okay chaps and chapesses heres little problem I hope someone can help me with. I have a 1990 XR4x4 2.9 V6 NON cat. Past it's MOT 3 weeks ago. It's a little lumpy on tick over but passed emmisions on MOT, Co 0.65% HCC 73PPM so very low. Here's the problem, once driving the car is fine EXCEPT between 40-46mph where it's a bit jerky, like it's mis firing. Car goes like stink when floored, has new plugs, HT leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm. I have set the tappets but did notice that one side was worn and still rattles a bit. Could it be then worn rocker shaft that is causing the mis fire? seems at bit strange how it only does it at a certain engine speed. All help welcome.
Andy.

adithorp

posted on 13/5/11 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
If it's got a vane type air flow meter (think they did from memory) it could be that. They used to wear away the track at points where they often sat like idle and light load steady running. Tappets too tight is more likely to be a problem than slightly noisey.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

SeaBass

posted on 13/5/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
If it's the Bosch vane or flap type like Adithorp mentions then I had an almost identical issue when I bought my 944.

There is an air bypass adjustment on the sensor which effectively enriches/leans the mixture across the board. I added about 1/2 turn richer and it now runs perfectly at light load when cruising. Before is was stuttering but was fine at WOT just like you mention.

JC

marcjagman

posted on 13/5/11 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Will have a look at that as it is burning lean going by the emissions read out.
marcjagman

posted on 13/5/11 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
If it's the Bosch vane or flap type like Adithorp mentions then I had an almost identical issue when I bought my 944.

There is an air bypass adjustment on the sensor which effectively enriches/leans the mixture across the board. I added about 1/2 turn richer and it now runs perfectly at light load when cruising. Before is was stuttering but was fine at WOT just like you mention.

JC

Can't find the bypass, which sensor should I be looking at?

stevec

posted on 13/5/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Those engines suffer from inlet manifold gasket creep then they have an air leak that may effect emissions.
Steve

Chippy

posted on 13/5/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

[img] V6 Air flow metter
V6 Air flow metter
[/img]

From memory the adjusting screw is in the bottom of the Air Inlet Vane Do Da, will see if I can find a picture of one and stick it on this post. I had one of these engines in my special untill I changed for the BOA. Cheers Ray
Edit to add picture. You should adjust the front AFM first and only adjust the rear one if you run out of adjustment on the front one. HTH Ray

[Edited on 13-5-11 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

marcjagman

posted on 13/5/11 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
quote:

[img] V6 Air flow metter
V6 Air flow metter
[/img]

From memory the adjusting screw is in the bottom of the Air Inlet Vane Do Da, will see if I can find a picture of one and stick it on this post. I had one of these engines in my special untill I changed for the BOA. Cheers Ray
Edit to add picture. You should adjust the front AFM first and only adjust the rear one if you run out of adjustment on the front one. HTH Ray

[Edited on 13-5-11 by Chippy]

Read that in the haynes BUT, it says that only affects tick over, so it's lying to me, again.

Chippy

posted on 13/5/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, Oh! yes does a lot more than affect tick over, it will affect the fueling across the whole range. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.