Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gear selector (on ebay)
locostbuyer83

posted on 8/6/11 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
gear selector (on ebay)

Any ideas if this would work on a zx12r?

Digital Gear Indicator for Motorbikes - Universal | eBay UK

wylliezx9r

posted on 8/6/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at it, it seems to require a seperate signal for each gear on the box. Normaly the box only has an output for neutral, so where the signal for the other gears would come from I havnt a clue. I have seen these units before and were about 70 quid and I believe they come with an electronic box that drives the display. That's my 2 pennys.

Dan

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

locostbuyer83

posted on 8/6/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
what about combined with this
http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/r.miklos/shiftindicator/gearindicator.htm

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/6/11 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
In theory, yes, in practice I don't know if you've got all you need in the 'item' description.

Devices such as this are programmable, it simply looks at the wheel rpm and the engine rpm - it's progammed to then give you what gear you're in by looking at the figures. This (apparently) just hooks into the speedo/ECU/whatever feeds from the existing sensors?

Some use independent sensors Hall magnets on th eprop/wheel/whatever for the speed, and a simple tacho feed from anywhere else suitable. These devices would certainly work and are what you need for such certaincy.

Modern bike engines *do* know what gear they're in, or at least the ECU does. They have different ignition/fuel/traction control maps (and a lot more) for each gear.

Some are simple resisitive drums on the gearchange (GSXR) so that you have a different ohm value for each gear. You can use this directly on an independent display.... simples.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.