New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: who's used this fan?
blakep82

posted on 25/6/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
who's used this fan?

saw this linked ages ago
eBay Item

will one 10" fan be ok?

2ltr vauxhall engine, not particularly tuned. engine is standard, with bike carbs and stainless race exhaust
got a mk3 transit radiator, which is probably bigger than most

ignore the bits drawn on badly, but here's the front grilles
Description
Description

should i be looking to fit the biggest fan possible?or should i start with this 10" fan, adding another smaller one if required?
with my header tank positioned right behind the radiator (nowhere else it could have gone) i could perhaps fit a tiny 6" fan below it if required

any difference between front or rear mounted fans? i'd tend to fit behind the radiator. just feel that if its in front it block air front contacting the radiator

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/6/11 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, got the 12' on my car. Mounted on the front.

As i see it (my opinion only) front or rear mounted doesnt make that much difference... Something blocking the front or back is going to stop the air moving through the rad. But theres so little of it, i cant see it really making a difference.

The biggest difference is to fill the sides in around the rad so there air has nowhere else to go !

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

big-vee-twin

posted on 25/6/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I've got that one too, front mounted - to reverse the air flow you just reverse the wiring connections.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/6/11 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Yep, I've got that one too, front mounted - to reverse the air flow you just reverse the wiring connections.

BNeware, many fans this doesn't work well, the blades are shaped so in reverse they move very little air. Some you can actuallt reverse the blades.

I reckon behind better, and make sure the fan has good shrouding, so the blades are close (but not too close) and air has to be sucked through the rad rather than from the sides, if that makes sense. I use a VW one with the original shroud, makes cooling far more efficient.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.