Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fanbelt stupid question number 2
Mark Allanson

posted on 25/7/04 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Fanbelt stupid question number 2

I know fan belts are graded by their length, they have it printed on the outer edge in millimeters.

I have never really thought where this is measured, is it the length of the outer or the inner or the mean of the driven faces?

I measured mine at its smallest possible dimension at the outer face by wrapping masking tape around the pulleys, cutting it off and measuring - 825mm. I want to get the smallest belt possible as my alt will only adjust 38mm of belt length (did the same thing on maximum dimension) Rescued attachment Masking Fan Belt.jpg
Rescued attachment Masking Fan Belt.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

boost

posted on 25/7/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
the lenght is the outside measurement but you also need to know what sort of v it is eg. spz or 52b there are meny different types.
macspeedy

posted on 25/7/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
take the crank pulley along, we bought a halfords hb 875a which should see you right
Mark Allanson

posted on 25/7/04 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boost
the lenght is the outside measurement but you also need to know what sort of v it is eg. spz or 52b there are meny different types.

What are the differences, I may have problems if the kia alternator is different from the Ford pulleys

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/7/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macspeedy
take the crank pulley along, we bought a halfords hb 875a which should see you right

I would have thought that 875 would be too long by 50mm

SeaBass

posted on 26/7/04 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I have been having the same fun recently mark trying to drive an alternator in a different position on a zetec.

You'll find that Halfords belts are mm then a letter a-f referring to the v spec. Other manufacturers use different codes.

From my experiments I found that all belt manufacturers (Gates, Bosch, Halfords etc ) belts are different lengths at a given size by +/- 10mm anyway.

Best bet is to pick the smallest as your doing and then exchange if not correct.

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.