Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rose jointing wishbones: Pros and Cons
edsco

posted on 3/10/11 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Rose jointing wishbones: Pros and Cons

Hi all

Now that i have finished building my Spire GTR, i have taken it on a couple of track-days i am starting to notice areas of handling that could maybe improve if there was more adjustment in the suspension and geometry etc.

At present i have poly bushes all round, but was wondering whether the step towards fully rose jointed solution is really worth it.

Its mainly on the exits of corners that i have experienced the car wanting to let go (back end) as you get back on the power. Whilst its quite entertaining and looks good to the spectator, it aint the fastest way round the track. I want to get back on the power and be sure the car is planted. Whilst i am a novice driver and i am sure driver tuition is something i need, i do think the mechanical grip is lacking. For road purposes i am sure there is bags of grip but as i am not IVA ing it, it is only going to be driven on track.

Firstly, what are the pros and cons of rose jointing and secondly, are there any bods out there that are able to provide or talk me through a gradual progression in developing the car further?

Thanks

edsco

MikeFellows

posted on 3/10/11 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I got my Indy-R all rose jointed, so that i could do exactly what your talking about in the future

as im a complete noob, this has been a nightmare in trying to get anything remotely aligned for IVA and as few people seem to get it done, the help available is limited

im sure it will be worth it in the end but for now its a complete pita

alistairolsen

posted on 3/10/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
properly rosejointed suspension wont be adjustable.

My Build Thread

zilspeed

posted on 3/10/11 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that the principal difference would be in the inspection and maintenance regime that you must employ when the car is all rod ends as opposed to bushed with a degree of compliance in them.

Even a poly bush will have a measure of compliance inherent compared to a rod end. Much less than a rubber bush, but still more than a rod end.
The rod end has to accept and deal with every little load and shock it is sent.

A friend had one fail at the weekend.
Now, before I go any further, I'll state for the record that this was a rally car and I absolutely accept that there are potentially greater shock loads in such an application.
Nevertheless, the net result of this single failed road end is a wrecked shell.

I have an image of the failed part, but not necessarily permission to share the image, so you'll forgive me for not sharing without getting express permission first.

I'm not suggesting for a second that this should cause you to shy away from using rod ends, but equally I would suggest that you should get used to what amounts to forensic examination of the joints on a regular basis.
I would also suggest that if you were to search out the place in the uk which is pretty well known for selling rod ends at the most competitive price, and based on my above monologue, you may wish to choose to spend a little extra and avoid the cheapest ones.

Outwith the issued of rod ends.

What tyres are you running ?
What pressures are you running ?
Springs / dampers etc ?

You may have a lot of tweaking to do before major alterations to the car even become necessary, far less essential.

zilspeed

posted on 3/10/11 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
properly rosejointed suspension wont be adjustable.

Why not ?

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/10/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
The rose joints won't have their holes running horizontally as I believe the "correct" orientation is to have them vertically pointing to avoid the bearing popping out under high loads. The bones wouldn't be able to be moved up and down the bolt shaft to adjust them more towards the front or back of the car and then fitted with spacers. You would still be able to unscrew the rose joint at the front a bit to try and point the bone backwards but it's generally recommended that the whole threaded part of the joint is screwed in to prevent creating a stress point on the shaft.
That's the official view I believe and a summary of what I read off here before deciding to do mine anyway.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/10/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
i posted a quesroom about spherical joints and this was the result. linky

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

alistairolsen

posted on 3/10/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.formulastudent.de/academy/pats-corner/advice-details/article/pats-column-rod-ends-in-bending/

My Build Thread

nick205

posted on 3/10/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
A full rod end set-up might increase the range of adjustment and allow for finer tuning. However it won't address any inherent short comings in the suspension geometry. The start point (IMHO) is to check the chassis and suspension pick-up points are true and and within tolerance (typically +/- 1mm). After that check that the existing wishbones and uprights are also true and again in tolerance. Once done and corrected if necessary you have a start point to work from and can identify where to make improvements - e.g. a full rod end set-up or re-positioned pick-up points etc.

Hopefully not teaching you to suck eggs here BTW.

Des Hammill's book on suspension set-up is a worthwhile read....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modify-Sportscar-Kitcar-Suspension-Spee dpro/dp/1903706734

TimC

posted on 3/10/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
The rose joints won't have their holes running horizontally as I believe the "correct" orientation is to have them vertically pointing to avoid the bearing popping out under high loads. The bones wouldn't be able to be moved up and down the bolt shaft to adjust them more towards the front or back of the car and then fitted with spacers. You would still be able to unscrew the rose joint at the front a bit to try and point the bone backwards but it's generally recommended that the whole threaded part of the joint is screwed in to prevent creating a stress point on the shaft.
That's the official view I believe and a summary of what I read off here before deciding to do mine anyway.

All of this is true, but that doesn't necessarily rule-out using rod-ends the 'incorrect way.' As the Formula Student link points out, using rod-ends does permit greater adjustment over fixed bearings. In addition, running them with the fixing bolt horizontal also provides a not insignificant amount of fine-tuning. Now, assuming that you don't have a massive amount of experience with the car and what you need to do to get a car feeling right for you - or even how your desired set-up might change over time (not least as your experience and confidence improves,) is this flexibility not desirable over-and-above some of the benefits of a fixed, 'vertical bolt' set-up? In my view it is; by combining relatively large and good-spec rod-ends with careful checks and maintenance I hope to make the most of what is admittedly a less than ideal design.

Isn't that what all of us are doing with kit cars i.e. how many of us are running top-spec blueprinted engines and carbon tubs?

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/10/11 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I totally agre Tim. This is what I considered to before I did mine. I'm just messing with the fine tuning and in fact I'm going to go out and have a play with them now
alistairolsen

posted on 3/10/11 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
My intention is to make some adjustable ones until I get the geometry perfect and then do a proper set with enclosed housings from those.

My Build Thread

eddie99

posted on 3/10/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cons:-

Cost - Don't last that long in comparison to polybushes

Pros:-

Less friction = more grip.
Less movement = more stable geometry

Ideally from a strength and friction point of view they would be mounted with the bolts vertically, but as it would be replacing polybushes you would be forced to use them where the bolts were horizontal, no biggy really. Ideally you would use a smaller rose joint than the polybush bolt size will allow so again its no real biggy but would have saved weight.

Be worth checking what spring rates and damper setting you are currently using as this kind of over steer might be cured with softer rear springs/damping or stiffer fronts.

With a set of suspension to use as a pattern we could make all the parts required to what you want.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Talon Motorsport

posted on 3/10/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Putting rose joints aside, all they will do is get every thing pointing the same way. I think you need to look at why the back end steps out while on the power.
What size tyres are you using on the back, are they too wide or too narrow, are they cheap road tyres or semi slick, what pressure are you running in them?
What are the rear spring rates have you corner weighted the car, are the dampers set up correctly for bump and rebound?
What torque is the engine making are you asking too much of the chassis?
What diff is in the car is it a LSD or do you need one?
Before spending time and money on joints I would talk to some one who knows what they are doing with car suspension, there is alot more to it than making it so adjustable that you don't know what to play with next.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neville Jones

posted on 3/10/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
There's no reason not to use nylatron bushes for the inners, with rodends on the outers.

The inner mounts will necessarily need to be very accurately placed, to ensure free movement. Alignment takes time, but the bushes will last a lifetime. I know of at least one big name GT car team whose development mules use this setup, and a couple of others who have used it in the past. One even raced at a high level, found the setup better than rodends, but relented eventually and went to rodends purely because 'that's what everyone does'. Not a good reason at all.

Whatever floats your boat..., as they say.

Cheers,
Nev.

coyoteboy

posted on 3/10/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

One even raced at a high level, found the setup better than rodends, but relented eventually and went to rodends purely because 'that's what everyone does'. Not a good reason at all.

A racing team went with "what everyone does" despite thinking/having proof that something else was better - can't believe they lasted very long? While I'm all for dispelling myths of such things, the if it was better it would surely be the one thing they chose to keep - seeing as it's a choice they make rather than is imposed upon them (unless they're fashion whores?)

[Edited on 3/10/11 by coyoteboy]

ashg

posted on 3/10/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
my suggestion would be to soften the front or stiffen the rear dampers before you go to all the trouble.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

JimSpencer

posted on 3/10/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
http://www.formulastudent.de/academy/pats-corner/advice-details/article/pats-column-rod-ends-in-bending/

It's not often one would argue with the formula student people, but that's one of them..

'Old Formula Three or old Formula Ford' bit in particular - even the current cars use them in that manner - perfectly standard use.

JimSpencer

posted on 3/10/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edsco
Hi all

Now that i have finished building my Spire GTR, i have taken it on a couple of track-days i am starting to notice areas of handling that could maybe improve if there was more adjustment in the suspension and geometry etc.

At present i have poly bushes all round, but was wondering whether the step towards fully rose jointed solution is really worth it.

Its mainly on the exits of corners that i have experienced the car wanting to let go (back end) as you get back on the power. Whilst its quite entertaining and looks good to the spectator, it aint the fastest way round the track. I want to get back on the power and be sure the car is planted. Whilst i am a novice driver and i am sure driver tuition is something i need, i do think the mechanical grip is lacking. For road purposes i am sure there is bags of grip but as i am not IVA ing it, it is only going to be driven on track.

Firstly, what are the pros and cons of rose jointing and secondly, are there any bods out there that are able to provide or talk me through a gradual progression in developing the car further?

Thanks

Ok had a good look at a spire GTR the other day - should be plenty of scope for adjustment with your standard bits.

Rod ends make it easier, and give more finite control for that last little bit - but the basics of getting the car more or less in the ball park can be done with what you've got.

Assuming it's been.

Corner weighted.
Got good shock's that are valved to suit the car.
Aligned properly
Has some rake in it.
Decent tyres
and the caster and camber are in the ball park.

Then

It sounds like you've not got enough weight transfer to the rear under acceleration, so assuming the above are done it's probably either too stiff at the rear, droop settings are wrong or it's got the daddy of roll bar's on it..

So have a shufty at the last two, check with AB what they should be, go and get a few different springs for both ends and have a play.

alistairolsen

posted on 3/10/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=3&t=84209

My Build Thread

coyoteboy

posted on 3/10/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

even the current cars use them in that manner - perfectly standard use.

Pics?

I can't see them in this pic of the rear of a 2009 F3?

[Edited on 3/10/11 by coyoteboy]

gallons perminute

posted on 4/10/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
If you do not know the front of a car from the rear you are in trouble........................

Does not use rod ends, too heavy, uses spherical bearings pressed into the wishbones.

coyoteboy

posted on 4/10/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
<grin> - actually pasted the wrong URL into the damn box. Funny. How much of a berk do I look now!

I'm guessing there's some confusion with people about what rod ends are hence people commenting on their use when they're not used (that I can see). A spherical bearing does not a rod end make, as you point out gpm.

[Edited on 4/10/11 by coyoteboy]

[Edited on 4/10/11 by coyoteboy]

Neville Jones

posted on 4/10/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to be very up to date, don't use any type of pivot on the inner end. Just bolt the carbon fibre flat moulded into the wishbone end straight onto a flat projecting from the chassis.Two little 6mm bolts.The flex of the carbon flat is enough. For a race or two anyway, before you change them out.

ON the FS subject; Ross Brawn when judging, gives an immediate negative or downmarking if he sees rodends in bending. It's very poor engineering. Top and bottom outers should be sphericals in proper housings. Castor adjustment is in the inner mount. Camber should be by adjustment shims. This all comes from Brawn's own comments.

Cheers,
Nev.

The nylatron ends will outlast a rodend by a multitude of lifes. But takes a bit more care in manufacture of the chassis and wishbone. The rodend setup is forgiving and allows for 'tolerances' in manufacture, and is much quicker to service on the day. That's why the mules used nylatron, the racecars rodends. Not rocket science by a long way!

[Edited on 4/10/11 by Neville Jones]

JimSpencer

posted on 4/10/11 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Nope know what a Rod End is - and yup the Reynard that's sat in the garage has quite a few all over it, should know had to purchase quite a few..
Oddly the picture file of the F3 cars in the Monoposto Champs sans bodywork seems to feature quite a few too..

Now not saying for one minute it's perfect and you'll notice i didn't recommend the OP to do it anyway, but like it or not them being used like that for donkeys years makes it fairly standard practice, probably because it makes adjustment quick and reasonably accurate for a cheap initial investement

Brawn / Current GP would indeed just throw different set of bones at 0.1mm longer/shorter of course

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.