Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Movement
rayroni

posted on 6/8/04 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Engine Movement

How much space have people got between the top of their (side-flow) carbs and the bonnet?
In other words, how much is my crossflow likely to move on its mounts?

Cheers,
Andy

JoelP

posted on 6/8/04 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
depends on the mounts you have used, but i would allow 20mm either way as an extreme on mine. There will be very little up down movement, mine seems to just rock left and right.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Lars

posted on 6/8/04 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
can't tell you how far it moves, but moves a fair bit while cranking, then settles down when engine is running
stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/8/04 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
my V6 moved a bit more than I wanted, so I got a tie bar made up - bit like the ones minis used to use (except this one is about 400mm long - mini is short). One end is on the chassis, other to a braket on top of bell housing. Its rubber bushed, so no loss of vibration insulation. The engine is VERY steady now.

Older BL / Rover cars (summat like allegro) with the A series had longer tie bars that might be useable.

atb

steve

[Edited on 6/8/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/04 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using Landrover mounts and have less that 10mm total movement

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/8/04 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think the prob on mine was the angle of the mounts.

The granada ones are donut type. like the LR, with a stud each side. On the ford, they seemd to b emounted at a tiny angle, inwards, towards the engine. I think this kinda make the engine settle into a shallow 'v' for stability.

(too techie for ya? )

I mounted em flat.

wobbled a fair bit.

not with the stabiliser tho!

atb

steve

Dale

posted on 6/8/04 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I made my motor mounts like end of the "a" arms the mount comes down to a welded cross tube with two bushes at each end(rubber suspension bushes from a full size crownvic axle) and a bold goes through them to u bracket welded to the chassis. On cranking I dont see more than a 1/4 inch of movement at most.
Dale

Angel Acevedo

posted on 9/7/07 at 03:58 AM Reply With Quote
Dale,
I`m sure i`ve seen something like that, but i can no longer go back to the page. (Saved as a favorite on different `pooter)
Do you have any pics?
Thanks in advance

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dale

posted on 9/7/07 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hope this helps. The U bracket on the bottom is just temperary untill as a much tighter fit will be required but it does the job for right now. Rescued attachment mounts_resize.jpg
Rescued attachment mounts_resize.jpg

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

NS Dev

posted on 9/7/07 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have less clearance than 10mm in a number of places and nowt has touched yet, but using h/d mounts

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Angel Acevedo

posted on 9/7/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Hope this helps. The U bracket on the bottom is just temperary untill as a much tighter fit will be required but it does the job for right now.

Dale,
Great....
Thats what I was looking for.
I`ll make to suit 5.0 Ford V8.
Thanks a lot

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thomas4age

posted on 10/7/07 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
nomaly the engines rock left-right when not in gear but when you are actually accelerating the engine moves forwards and backwards. I noticed this when the car was on the dyno with the hood off, shoving 160hp through the live axle. no noticable sideways movenment as seen only lengthways

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

martyn_16v

posted on 10/7/07 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
Older BL / Rover cars (summat like allegro) with the A series had longer tie bars that might be useable.

I thought about trying an anti-roll bar drop-link as an engine stabiliser if mine turns out to be a bit 'wobbly'. Some cars have nice long drop-links, not too hard to find in the scrappy.

jacko

posted on 10/7/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi have a look at my photo archives under engine stabailisar

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.