Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec clutch and mondeo slave cylinder
Nitrogeno25

posted on 8/10/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec clutch and mondeo slave cylinder

I bought an AP racing clutch kit for my duratec/type 9 conversion (Raceline bellhousing).

I also get the mondeo slave cylinder:

And try the pressure plate (CP5905-1) over the slave cylinder. But I'm not sure the cylinder is large enough for the clutch spring.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

flak monkey

posted on 8/10/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Once the clutch is assembled the fingers will be flat, they should then sit on the thrust face of the release bearing OK.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

needforspeed

posted on 8/10/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
yep i think itl be ok aswel
Nitrogeno25

posted on 8/10/11 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Once the clutch is assembled the fingers will be flat, they should then sit on the thrust face of the release bearing OK.

Thank you very much for the (very) fast reply!

I thought of that, so fully assembled the clutch and note the finger are indeed almost flat.

I measured the diameter of the thrust face and it's around 53mm and the diameter between the pressure plate fingers is 45mm (47mm disassembled). I hope 4mm per side being enough for correct operation!!

Thanks again.

[Edited on 8/10/11 by Nitrogeno25]

austin man

posted on 8/10/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
The main proble is getting the spacing correct, when we did this conversion using the kit available at the time (designed for use with the Pinto) the spacer was too short and popped the cylinder we have since had the spacer modified and it works brilliantly) this id fitted in a type nine to a silvertop zetec ap racing clutch etc No other problems

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

pjay

posted on 8/10/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi - are you referring to the diameter being a concern?

If so it does look a bit on the edge. I don't think it's the Mondeo slave cylinder that's recommended. I recall something about the V6 version or a SAAB job but I could be wrong.

Nitrogeno25

posted on 9/10/11 at 03:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pjay
Hi - are you referring to the diameter being a concern?

If so it does look a bit on the edge. I don't think it's the Mondeo slave cylinder that's recommended. I recall something about the V6 version or a SAAB job but I could be wrong.

Yes, I'm not sure about the diameter.

Whats the difference with the v6 mondeo?? As for the SAAB unit, I think it's design for a flat finger pressure plate. My pressure plate has curved fingers and as far as I know, a flat bearing is needed.

Thanks!

pjay

posted on 9/10/11 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I think the main difference is the diameter but I'm not a expert on this since I've used a cable clutch.

The CP5905-1 is considered a flat spring cover and therefore strictly speaking you'll need a round faced release bearing surface. Have a look at a Pinto clutch cover for an example of 'round spring fingers'.

Take a look at the following thread which is about the cable clutch setup but discusses the CP5905-1 and round vs. flat faced release bearings.

http://viatron.websitetoolbox.com/post/Duratec-cable-clutch-issue-Raceline-FW-RWD-bellhousing-5171670?&trail=50&highlight=duratec+clutch

[Edited on 9/10/11 by pjay]

big-vee-twin

posted on 9/10/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
The SAAB bearing has a rounded face as opposed to the Mondy one which is flat see pic below

SAAB one is indeed used for flat fingers on the pressure plate

[img] Duratec clutch cylinder
Duratec clutch cylinder
[/img]

[Edited on 9/10/11 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Nitrogeno25

posted on 11/10/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pjay
I think the main difference is the diameter but I'm not a expert on this since I've used a cable clutch.

The CP5905-1 is considered a flat spring cover and therefore strictly speaking you'll need a round faced release bearing surface. Have a look at a Pinto clutch cover for an example of 'round spring fingers'.

Take a look at the following thread which is about the cable clutch setup but discusses the CP5905-1 and round vs. flat faced release bearings.

http://viatron.websitetoolbox.com/post/Duratec-cable-clutch-issue-Raceline-FW-RWD-bellhousing-5171670?&trail=50&highlight=duratec+clutch />
[Edited on 9/10/11 by pjay]

As far as I can found out, the diameter is the same, lenght is about 20mm larger on the V6 model.

As for the clutch cover, why the CP505-1 is considered a flat spring cover? I'm going to get some pictures this night.

Many thanks!

[Edited on 11/10/11 by Nitrogeno25]

pjay

posted on 11/10/11 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Check out these pictures from Mark's (Tiger Super Six) car - shows the Pinto type clutch cover springs for comparison:

http://viatron.websitetoolbox.com/file?id=1120539
http://viatron.websitetoolbox.com/file?id=1120538

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.