Author: Subject: 2.0 twin cam efi ford
nige

posted on 7/8/04 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 twin cam efi ford

any one used one ?
any hints or tips would be usefull

thanks in antisipation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

Browser

posted on 7/8/04 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you do a search you should come up with the (many) debates seen here in the past about the relative merits of using this engine.

Viper

posted on 7/8/04 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
and not many merits i'm afraid

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iwbunting

posted on 7/8/04 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 dohc ford efi

A lot has been spoken of this engine....

It has got its problems,mainly the cylinder head gaskets prone to fail and head cracking etc.But,if the coolant is kept in top form ie.kept level,most of the problems can be overcome,also by using a wetting agent the coolant will do its job better.Another area is in the size of the radiator,dont be tempted to fit a lot smaller capacity one on the basis that the engine isnt going to get as hot,also fit an oil cooler as this will help in 2 ways,it will reduce oil temperature and the temperature residual carried by the oil itself,and isbt that pricy to do.
Cam chain problems can arise but usually on high mpg only,so changing the chain is the answer,fiddly but doable.

On the plus side,the EFI version pumps out about 125 BHP which stillisnt bad going.

MikeRJ

posted on 7/8/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
The DOHC is also taller than the Pinto, to sump and bonnet clearance may be a problem.
heinlein

posted on 7/8/04 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
If over-heating is an issue an article in the May Grassroots Motorsports on waterless cooling is worth reading; by switching to a propylene glycol based cooling medium instead of water/ethylene glycol mix average temperature may actually go up, but the hot spots, which are the real problem, should be eliminated.

When you're lying in the midst of the Afghan plains and the women come out to cut up the remains; just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains and go to your god like a soldier.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/8/04 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Would make a cracking boat anchor.!

quote:
Originally posted by rashandnige
any one used one ?
any hints or tips would be usefull

thanks in antisipation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tom_loughlin

posted on 8/8/04 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
i have to say, im a bit dissappointed to hear you guys comments on the 2l dohc engine - i have a sierra with one in, and have been driving it around to see what the engine is like - its doen 107k miles, and still seems to have plenty of go!
might have to re-think dropping it in my car after sva and registration then, and keep an eye open for a zetec or something.

macspeedy

posted on 8/8/04 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
i asked about this before i got my donor and was steered away due lack of tuning parts for them
iwbunting

posted on 8/8/04 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
2.0 DOHC - Macspeedy

To Macspeedy.......

Some of us are quite happy with 125BHP.
Ok so you have to remake the plenum if you use the EFI,but hey not a big problem.You CAN get hot cams for them giving between 8-15 BHP increase..no problem.You would also need to fit an induction kit to get rid of the air boxes (again if using EFI) but this could give a possible 5-8 BHP increase.So you could end up with a cheap motor pumping out between 138 and 148 BHP.

macspeedy

posted on 8/8/04 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
in reply

mine is a cheap motor due to me doing all the rebuiling and head work to gain that extra power, it just takes a bit of time, 18 months so far!

iwbunting

posted on 8/8/04 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
In reply ...

Cheap !

I paid £200 for a complete Mot'd,Taxed sierra with only 50k on the clock,with alloys in a well usable condition,a 2.0 125 BHP motor and MT75 box,I thought that is cheap.Maybe not.

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/8/04 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I think the twin cam does have merits, if you are happy with 125bhp (250bhp per ton is not bad by any standards). Most of its downfalls are due to abuse, it must be serviced as per ford shedules, especially the cam chain which is an easy swap (just line up the gold links). I am not sio sure that you would have to remake the plenum chamber as it is only slightly above the cam cover, much easier to raise the nosecone a little (speaking as someone with a little experience on making plenum chambers!)

If you already have the engine and are happy with it, know its history and don't want to beat Chris Allanson's 0-60 record - go for it

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

nige

posted on 9/8/04 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
power is not an issue as im not building
to race...........
height is no a prob im 442 , 50mm.above
bonnet line , a scoop will solve that
thanks for the replies..................

what about the sump can it be cut or
is there an alternative ?

you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/8/04 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I had a look at a '96 granny 2.3 today, it looks like the dohc 2.0 as fitted to sierra's, it pushes out 145bhp, for the same dimensions, the efi is below the rocker cover too!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

andyps

posted on 12/8/04 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I had a look at a '96 granny 2.3 today, it looks like the dohc 2.0 as fitted to sierra's, it pushes out 145bhp, for the same dimensions, the efi is below the rocker cover too!

Will have to look out for one of those as it is the efi height which I am more concerned about for my build. Not too worried about the engine size as I plan to build a taller chassis, but would like to not have the efi sticking out of the bonnet!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/8/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Me neither Rescued attachment Plenum.jpg
Rescued attachment Plenum.jpg

andyps

posted on 13/8/04 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Wow - where did you put it all Mark? That looks really neat, must be quite a change from the original set up.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

nige

posted on 13/8/04 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
mark what have you done on the sump
do you know if the steel pinto sump
will fit the twincam block

dblissett

posted on 14/8/04 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
twin cam

i bought a sierra with one of these engines when i started my 442 in fact i have still got it its that good if you want it its free
i ended up getting a pinto because the cost of parts for the twin cam
go to a local motor factor and ask for the prices for both engines full gasket set and cam chain/belt
i was quoted about £100 for a cam chain
then you have to sort the exhaust and the efi sticks up 4" above the cam cover
its a tight fit in a 442 and i came to the conclusion it wasent worth it
if you want cheap thrills stick with a pinto
cheers dave

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/8/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rashandnige
mark what have you done on the sump
do you know if the steel pinto sump
will fit the twincam block

I have chopped the sump and extended it forward, the little box thing that some people weld on usually fouls the clutch, I dont know about a pinto sump fitting to a TC block, I have been told they are the same, but I doubt it Rescued attachment Sump.jpg
Rescued attachment Sump.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.