Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air Intake
Greenie

posted on 27/10/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Air Intake

As titled, my air intake and filter are located under the nose cone and my question is this the best place, knowing that it very confined, I am concerned whether or not the engine is benefitting optimimly because of this or is there no need for concern, I just feel that the engine is not getting the required amount of air.

I may consider relocating or even opening up the nose cone in some means..... any advice or ideas are appreciated..

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 27/10/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Engines tend to produce more power when supplied with cooler air rather than air that has been through a radiator and heated up .
big_wasa

posted on 27/10/11 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
My set up is very simlar. Its not great, I am seing intake temps of 42 deg so I will be re routing it.
scutter

posted on 27/10/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Is there space to put a piece of flattened tube over the rad and place the filter in front of the rad?

That or rotate it 180 deg and have a scoop in the side of the nosecone feeding cooler air in.

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 27/10/11 by scutter]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
beaver34

posted on 27/10/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at running an enclosed carbon air box like a piper cross viper with a act duct in the nose cone feeding it so all air is from the outside of the car, but was worried it would be restricted due to only have a small inlet, the the r way I looked at it was run the filter right to the front and right angle along the top of the rad area in the airflow if using a normal filter
bi22le

posted on 27/10/11 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
You may be finding a power loss from that cheap filter aswell.

Not kidding, some filters are really restrictive. ITG are one of the best.

I would personally be making a hole in the nose and direct feeding the filter or run the filter down using flexi and get cold air feed from there.

HTH

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

samjc

posted on 27/10/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I agree fitted a cheap filter to my 1.4 fiesta and seemd restricted so try a friends enclosed pipercross system and sounded and run great but cost to much to buy so settled for a k&n pannel filter seen as its only a 1.4.
Greenie

posted on 28/10/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ta much, I believe an upgrade in filter and move it into the nose cone maybe my best option..... Thanks again to all

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.