Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fury IRS Rear Suspension
brianl0922

posted on 23/2/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fury IRS Rear Suspension

Tried to fit the new coilovers to the rear of my IRS Fury. Now I removed the old ones and kept everything but when i fitted the new ones the top mount just slid down the damper piston until the spring stopped it. There is no damping as the top mount just slides up and down the piston. Any one know how this should work? Photo of top mount below.

[Edited on 23/2/12 by brianl0922]

[Edited on 23/2/12 by brianl0922]

loggyboy

posted on 23/2/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I cant see your pictures too small....
HowardB

posted on 23/2/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
mine has a large nut, and a smaller lock nut,.....

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

brianl0922

posted on 23/2/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry about the pic still learning, I have the large nut but there was no smaller lock nut when I removed the old ones. Where does the small lock nut fit on to?
bi22le

posted on 23/2/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Use paint to resize your pic and then re upload it. I thought it was strange you having a MASSIVE thread until I noticed it was the corner of the top mount!!!

Just kidding, but try resizing your pic.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mazie

posted on 24/2/12 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
See my photo archive for the nut your are meant to have. Steve at fury sports cars maybe able to help if your missing them.
brianl0922

posted on 24/2/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Russ, if its the first photo you have in your archive I have that nut only the coller is about half the length of yours. What happened to mine was when I put the topmount onto the end of the damper piston there is nothing to stop it sliding down the piston. The nut only stops it coming up the piston not down!!. I will give Steve a call and see if he can explain whats wrong.
rost

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
My guess is that you fit the pictured nut first (hex head down), then putting the topmount on it and then locking it with another nut. Basically sandwiching the topmount between the two nuts.

[Edited on 24/2/12 by rost]

Charlie don't surf!

mazie

posted on 24/2/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
The ball of the spherical ball joint should not slide down, has it broken? , take a picture from underneath. That joint bolts up into the pillar with the fixings from above. The hex and threaded sleeve of the nut screws onto the damper rod with the washer first slid down the damper rod until it stops on the shank. Tighten up Finally with the weight of the car as this will stop the damper rod turning, there is 10mm nut to use with a spanner that surrounds the rebound adjustment. I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow, if it's broken then I'm sure you can get a new one . I has asked Steve an he was certain he could find them.
Hope this makes some sense!
Russ.

brianl0922

posted on 25/2/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Russ the ball joint is fine, but I have now discovered that there is a indented groove half way down the inside of the ball joint. A friend has suggested that it might be that a snap ring should sit in the groove to stop the ball joint slipping down the shaft. I did think that a washer might be needed on the bottom but I'm sure that half the ball joint should fit over the shaft as when I removed it from the original strut it was on the shaft. What do you think of the idea that a snap ring might be missing?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.