Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Update on Xflow Dizzy Problem
cfc999

posted on 22/3/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Update on Xflow Dizzy Problem

Can anyone please come up with a cheap solution to my 1300 xflow dizzy problem.
I'm gathering a ever increasing selection of dizzys and caps trying to get one to fit my Autosprint 1390 xflow running twin 40's.
Here's a list of things I've tried and checked so far.

1. Tried a Aldon dizzy (Lucas )with a side entery cap. No good, too tall and carbs will not fit.

2. Tried a Aldon dizzy with a much lower Austin cap(2 leads come out one side and 3 on the other) as recomended by Aldon. Still too tall.

3. Checked with the chap who I bought the carbs and inlet manifold off. He confirms that its the correct inlet manifold for a 1300 (angled upwards giving more clearance) and he ran the carbs in question on his 1300 xflow powered kit car.

4. Checked with the chap who I bought the engine off. He ran a dizzy and twin 40's so I'm pritty sure the block and head have not been skimmed too much reducing the clearence any further.

5. Gone down the Bosch dizzy route and got H&H to make me a special dizzy. They have shortened it by 2 inch's and altered the ignition curve to suit my engine. Does it fit. Does it fuck. Managed to attach the carbs but unable to rotate the dizzy to alter the timing. Also catches on the bottom of the spring return on the carbs so I'm unable to move the linkage fully.

I paid very little for the engine and did not want to have to spend loads of money sorting out the ignition system.
Please have a look at the pics attached and any solutions would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Chris
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 22/3/12 by cfc999]

Autosri

posted on 22/3/12 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
why not sell all the bits you have and as there must be a fair chunk of money sitting there and go megajolt and edis just done it on our pinto so much better and the for bits cost aroud 20 quid the mega jolt is about 130 and general bits like connectors and a wiring loom kit and a proper mounting kit with tps i would say it cost around 200 quid and a weekend to fit

you must have about 150 quid for all your dizzys and caps ect

coozer

posted on 22/3/12 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Jolt and Edis, trigger wheel = big fat spark, 3d map, = sorted.

Or, just Edis, coil pack, trigger wheel = fixed 10 degree advance = still better than a dizzy...

Parts,

Megajolt
Edis 4
Coilpack - silvertop one is best, get the leads as well.
Vr sensor
Trigger wheel
Wiring and sensors from any zetec Mondeo or Focus

Coil pack whacks out 60K spark, much fatter than a normal coil...

Then shift the carbs for some off a bike and your sorted!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

snapper

posted on 23/3/12 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
Megajolt
Or
Have the manifold modified
Simples

The dizzy route is obviously not gong to work

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

cfc999

posted on 23/3/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Could the problem be the twin 40 Dellorto DHLA cards. Do they stick out more at the bottom cuasing the dizzy to catch.
Cheers

leon51274

posted on 23/3/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Chris

Your going through them same issues as i did apart from mine was a 1600. See attached image and my dizzy was also bloody tight. I also ended up getting h&h to shorten mine and it still only just fitted. But the thing i'm thinking of at the moment is, isn't the 1300 block shorter than the 1600 block? Also, there is another manifold available at the same angle but is longer? So is the longer manifold meant to be for the 1300 as your manifold looks to be the same length as mine!

Just some thoughts

Cheers
Leon

Description
Description

cfc999

posted on 23/3/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply. The block on a 1300 is shorter making it even tighter trying to fit the dizzy when running twin 40's but I've been told its still possible to fit a dizzy.
The inlet manifold and carbs came off a 1300 and I've been told by the chap who I bought them off its the right one for the engine so still unsure why it will not fit.
If anyone has a longer manifold going spare then please let me know.
Cheers
Chris

jollygreengiant

posted on 23/3/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
I never had a problem with my 1662Xflow and twin 40's, but then I am an old f^rt (technically speaking in terms of engine), and I did use a Lotus twin cam dizzy, but, it did have the original lucas cap with side entry lead holes for COPPER leads with screw fixings inside the internal contacts.

You might have to go 'old school' and use copper leads with suppressors.

just done a quick search and here you go (the 23D type is the one I'm on about) Linky to cap pictures

Edit bit.
Not quite so big and nobbly at the top I think you will find.

[Edited on 23/3/12 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

JacksAvon

posted on 23/3/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
A crappy shot of a 1300 crossflow in my Mallock.
This is a Triumph Dolomite cap and fits perfectly

[img][/img]

cfc999

posted on 23/3/12 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
What dizzy were you using with the dolly cap.
Spoken with H&H and they have sent me a pic of another cap that might give a bit more room.

snapper

posted on 25/3/12 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
A friend wondered if you are using a pre-crossflow weber manifold? The spacings are the same but the dizzy on a pre-crossflow is the otherwise of the block.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

gdische

posted on 1/4/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if this helps - here are some photos of my setup. The engine is a 1600 crossflow with twin Dellorto 45s. The distributor has a side entry cap. I don't know for certain what it is, but from the number on the rotor arm it looks like it could be a Lucas 45D4. If anyone can confirm this I'd appreciate it! It's a tight fit, but there is just clearance under the carb.

Regards

Geoff

cfc999

posted on 1/4/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Update on dizzy problem

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a Lucas to me.
After taking the angle grinder to the mounting plate where the black box attatches to my Bosch dizzy and also taking some of the bottom of the inlet manifold I finally got it to fit. Also had to shaved a bit of the top of the dizzy cap. So fingers crossed lets hope it all works and I've not damaged anything in the process.
Cheers
Chris

David Jenkins

posted on 1/4/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Your life would be so much easier with megajolt. Here's what sits in place of the dizzy on my x-flow!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.