Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are all Sierra columns the same length?
SteveWallace

posted on 4/4/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Are all Sierra columns the same length?

I've been fitting the scuttle to my Viento. I've measured it loads of times and its in the right place, however, as you can see in the attached pictures, the light switch stalk on the column will be almost touching the dash (particularly if, as intended, I put the dash in front of the lip on the scuttle rather than behind it (I think that it looks neater).

I guess that a solution would be to take the light switch stalk off and replace it with a dash mounted one, but before I do that, have I done something dumb?

I've looked in the photo archives at other Viento builds and some seen very close to the dash and others a lot further away, with makes me suspect that there are two different lengths of column around.

JeffHs

posted on 4/4/12 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure, but I think you can adjust the top mount to pull the whole assembly backwards. If I remember right there is about 1-2 inches between extremes. I think you can slacken the clamp that holds the 2 bolt fixing to the column.
macc man

posted on 4/4/12 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
The alloy mounting bracket on the column is movable so you may want to try undoing the bolt and sliding it down the shaft to bring the stalks away from the dash.

[Edited on 4/4/12 by macc man]

40inches

posted on 4/4/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
The alloy bracket that the column fits to the chassis with, has around 35-45mm of adjustment, slacken the pinch bolt and
you should be able to move the wheel in or out.

Must trype quicker

[Edited on 4-4-12 by 40inches]

SteveWallace

posted on 4/4/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Does this adjustment change the distance between the steering wheel nut and the bottom end of the triangular section? If not then I cannot move it as the triangular bit only just reaches the coupling that connects to the rack as is. Any further movement upwards/ outwards means that it will not reach. I'll have a go tomorrow though.
perci

posted on 4/4/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
column switch position

Hi Steve, we had similar problem, we moved and adjusted all the things we could find to achieve best position, safely,and to enable the self cancelling for indicaters but column switches are still quite close to the dash,this is with dash mounted on face of scuttle. we fitted the adjustable column from a saphire, im not sure what difference it would make fitting a fixed type, i would be interested in any sudgestions as i would still consider moving ours to nearer the wheel, regards bec & pete (becs dad).
JC

posted on 4/4/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
You may also find that the crushable section is crushed - you can pull it back out to make it long again!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 5/4/12 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
Does this adjustment change the distance between the steering wheel nut and the bottom end of the triangular section? If not then I cannot move it as the triangular bit only just reaches the coupling that connects to the rack as is. Any further movement upwards/ outwards means that it will not reach. I'll have a go tomorrow though.

The triangular section slides inside the column, they sometimes get pushed in and need pulling out (my first one pulled out nearly 200mm) They are sometimes very tight and need a bit of "persuading"

SteveWallace

posted on 5/4/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've had another look and the triangular bit is pulled out to its fullest extent. However, the alloy bracket that fixes the column to the chassis was set as far up the column as possible (meaning that the column controls were as far forward as possible). Now that I think about it, I remember adjusting it to that position myself ages ago so that the triangular bit would reach the universal joint linkage to the rack - my excuse for not remembering yesterday is hypothermia from working in the garage in the snow! I didn't know at the time that it would put the controls so close to the dash

I've now moved it all of the way to the other end of its range and the column controls are in a much better position relative to the dash. However, as you can see in the attached picture, I'm going to have to make a longer connector between the column and the rack. Cutting an iron bar to the right length and getting a couple of bits of welding done to hold the UJ's in place is a much easier fix than I thought I was going to have to do though.

40inches

posted on 5/4/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
So near, yet so far. I cut the rod and welded in a tube that went the full length, to give maximum strength.

NeilP

posted on 6/4/12 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

Measure the distance from the front of your scuttle to the front of the chassis bar that runs across the bay and post it up - I''ll measure mine (and I'm sure the other guys and gals will as well) just to check that your scuttle isn't too far back....

Cheers, Neil.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

SteveWallace

posted on 7/4/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Neil,

Thanks for the suggestion. Its 228mm from the back of the scuttle to the front edge of the bulk head panel, give or take a couple of mm for final adjustment when I final fit the bonnet

NeilP

posted on 8/4/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is 229mm - given the 'generous' measurement tolerances of the Luego jigs that's fairly remarkable...

p.s. That weekend should be good - I'll let you know.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.