Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oil cooler size
metro6r4

posted on 5/6/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
oil cooler size

is there any easy way to calculate the oil cooler size i will require the engine is a 1.8 k series wich will be driven hard hopefull on track and at santapod.i dont want to go overkill but while i have to go to the trouble of remote mounting the oil filter to clear the engine mounts i may as well add a cooler.i intend to fit it behind the radiaror and steering rack as theres ample room hopefully the engine should run coooler even when i fit the hot cams i have in mind or is this a bad idea

any help would be appreciated

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Better to fit one the oil water heat exchangers use on some MG-Rovers (TF and KV6), over cooling the oil is much worse than it getting a bit hot especially if you use synthetic oil also ensure your engine has the full alloy sump rather than steel oil pan. If you do fit a conventional thermostat then also fit an oil thermostat or the oil will run too cold, usually oil should run at the water temperature +10c If when fully warm it goes below 75c then the cooler should be partly covered if it goes above 110c then you need more cooling but fully synthetic oils have a big safety margin.

It is also important not to over cool a K series engine they are designed to run at over 90c don't be tempted to remove the thermostat, the two alternative thermostat mods are well known.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

metro6r4

posted on 5/6/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
i have run this engine in another car for over a year permanently revinging it near 8 thousand with castrol 10w60 fully synthetic its never over heated yet not that i want it to it did'nt have a stat in it.the engine temp allways stayed in the halfway range even in the hight of summer.im just covering the bases for when i go for my full monty engine build i will look into fitting a stat but none of the cars i have ever owned have had one is there any reason why i need to run an alloy sump or is it just to aid cooling? as i have no idea what the oil temperature ran at am i better of getting it up and running with a gauge and going from there?
britishtrident

posted on 5/6/12 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you are running the standard ECU drive instrument pact the temperature gauge is a joke it idriven by the ecu to to stay on "N" between 70c and 120c
See below.

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

These engines work best on low viscosity oil, 5w/40 or 0w/40.
For normal tintop use 5w/30 is best.

For normal tintop use 5w/30

[Edited on 5/6/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.