Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any late night release bearing spotters about?!
me!

posted on 18/6/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Any late night release bearing spotters about?!

Another plea for help from the West Midlands. This stupid car (stupid me! perhaps?) is driving me mad.

Tried to fit my clutch cable after work. It's the one that was on before with the X-flow engine and working fine. Now a 2.0 Zetec, 1.8 fly, Mondeo clutch + cover, and Capri release bearing, which I believe is the correct one? Anyway, my clutch cable inner now seems much too long compared to the outer, so something is up!

1) Does the X-flow/type 9 vs Zetec/type 9 require a different clutch cable in anyones experience? I've never seen it mentioned in all my searching for what bits to bolt together but worth a shot.

2) Does this look like the correct release bearing? (if there is enough to go on in this pic)

Capri release bearing?
Capri release bearing?

3) This doesn't look right to me! Any comments? There is approx 70mm between the clutch fork/release arm and back of the bellhousing...

This doesn't look right...
This doesn't look right...

I can see me having to drag the engine out :-(

Any pointers appreciated.

Craig.

NeilP

posted on 18/6/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely too big a gap between the bearing and the clutch forks and too limited a travel on the bearing fork.

Not being daft but did you ensure the bearing fork was latched into the lugs in the bellhousing? Don't suppose it has the room to slip back. Guess then this is much slimmer new clutch assembly and you'll need a different bearing (or a spacer).

N.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Dusty

posted on 19/6/12 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Certainly looks like a CCT133 bearing which is the right one. Something is wrong. Not fitted in the release arm properly? Arm should be no further forward than the middle of the bellhousing window with the bearing in contact with the diaphragm fingers.
me!

posted on 19/6/12 at 05:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeilP
Definitely too big a gap between the bearing and the clutch forks and too limited a travel on the bearing fork.

Not being daft but did you ensure the bearing fork was latched into the lugs in the bellhousing? Don't suppose it has the room to slip back. Guess then this is much slimmer new clutch assembly and you'll need a different bearing (or a spacer).

N.

In that photo I had pulled it back to get a picture. The fork was in the pin when we assembled it, but its a good shout I'll make sure I check it.

The release bearing was pushed into the release arm until the tabs locked.

This is how far forward the arm is in the window

Clutch thing
Clutch thing

I wonder if I have a particularly angled release arm, or perhaps even a bent one? You can see how close the chassis is in 3)

snapper

posted on 19/6/12 at 05:32 AM Reply With Quote
GBS do a clutch arm pivot extension, moves the arm forward.
I also think the release bearing is not the longer CT133, the one I have has the location lugs 8mm further back thus pushing the face forward.
There was some confusion and eBay were selling standard as CT133

eBay item photo shows wider lugs
Looking on what's on eBay you have a CT 113
The longer one is a CT 110
I have a spare in the barn, new unused from Burtons

[Edited on 19/6/12 by snapper]

[Edited on 19/6/12 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

me!

posted on 19/6/12 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
It came from GSF as a Capri 5 speed release bearing. I've found this from one of Dusty's old posts:

Rescued attachment cct133.jpg
Rescued attachment cct133.jpg

It doesn't look like mine has the extended lugs, so it looks like I have the wrong bearing. Out it comes..... #*%$ing pain in the @/£&. Snapper- can you U2U me what you want for your CCT133 if it's available please.

I'm going to predict the next problem now, the slightly different engine position will make the correctly positioned clutch arm hit the chassis. I might get down William Hill and see if they'll give me odds.

me!

posted on 19/6/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Been having a scout about on ebay over lunch, is it the 4 speed (type 5?) release bearing I should be using? I only ever saw Capri release bearing or CCT133 mentioned, my local motor factor didn't know what a CCT133 was, so went for Capri 5 speed......

Ebay link:

Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra 1.3/1.6 New Genuine Ford Clutch Release Bearing | eBay

me!

posted on 19/6/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Been to the motor factors, I'm going to give this one a whirl. It measures up to Dusty's pic. Pictured with LUK part number for future reference (assuming it works!)

Release Bearing
Release Bearing

me!

posted on 26/6/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
In case it's any use to others, the new release bearing seems a great improvement.

I could do with a slightly longer clutch cable as the bend is a bit tight, leaving the adjuster at a bit of an angle. Also the adjuster is nearly at the end of it's travel, but I don't think this is an insurmountable problem. What clutch cables do people normally go for? Is the Capri one slightly longer?

Also I've never had to adjust a clutch before! How is it supposed to be- is the bearing supposed to rest on the clutch fingers at all times, or is there supposed to be a small amount of movement before the bearing and the clutch make contact?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.