Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fury fuel tank...
alan87

posted on 5/7/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Fury fuel tank...

Hi all,

Going to replace the current midget fuel tank on my fury. I'm looking at getting either a baffled or foam filled as currently it does suffer with fuel starvation below 1/4 tank on tight corners.

Has anybody done the swap that can either recommend me a tank that fits, or has the measurements to hand?

Thanks

clairetoo

posted on 5/7/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I made my own `big' tank many years ago as the ones available at the time just didnt do it for me - I allso lowered the boot floor for more camping gear space . Mine is 45 litres , baffled and with an in-tank pump .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

tasmod

posted on 5/7/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have any more pictures of the chassis. I would be interested to see the layout.

Thanks.

Rob

welderman

posted on 5/7/12 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
I made my own too

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

FuryRebuild

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'm making mine. It's going to sit in the transmission tunnel and in the space just before the rear axle. it will be designed to consume as much of the transmission tunnel volume as possible but with a good inch clearance for the prop. I'm getting back into my cad software which will take a volume and turn it into the most efficient flat folded shape to then be fabricated into that volume.

The basic plan is a baffled tank, just like the sump i made, with a small (5cm dia) sump at the front, fuel take-off at the top and attached to a pipe going down into the sump. Then I should always be guaranteed some fuel no matter what angle the car is at when starting if on a fairly empty tank. I'm not going to put the swirl pot in there (I want the volume for fuel).

I like what you did lowering the floor, but I don't want the tank there anymore - too much polar moment of intertia for me; 20kg of fuel slung right out at the back.

I had a midget tank, but after a while it started to rot, and never was a brilliant fit.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

welderman

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
I made my own too

will tank fit ?.
will tank fit ?.

ally tank
ally tank

ally tank pump boss
ally tank pump boss

ally tank
ally tank

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

McLannahan

posted on 6/7/12 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
I made my own too

And Joe made mine too!

Lovely job of it he made too....

I had as big as possible for maximum miles.

Excuse my amateur drawing, but it did the trick.....

Fuel Tank Drawing
Fuel Tank Drawing

alan87

posted on 6/7/12 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Some nice looking tanks! It would seem custom may be the way to go.

If any of you fancy making another could you PM me, as would definately be interested.

tasmod

posted on 6/7/12 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
FuryRebuild,

Have to say this but I'd be extremely worried having a fuel tank alongside me inside a tunnel with a spinning propshaft.

All might seem well, but I once hit a severe undulation in road at speed and the shock broke a gearbox rubber mount causing the prop to hit all sides. Luckily no other damage done. Even if it didn't break I suspect the prop would have moved quite a bit.

The undulation wasn't visible at the low level of seating in the car.

Plus I think if you intend 'eventing' then a canny scrutineer wouldn't allow you to compete.

Rob

FuryRebuild

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
tasmod - call me Mark

I'll get the bluebook out before I design anything.

There's a lot of space in the tunnel and especially up into the void behind the seats and above the rear diff- I think I'll use quite a bit, but maybe not wrap the prop in a saddle of fuel. I also have the option to put protection in over the prop. My fury is IRS, so the engine, box and diff are rigidly mounted, apart from the couple of mm give in the mounting bushes. As such, the prop has nowhere to go really. If the prop did let loose at the centre UJ, I'd have a lot more to worry about than the tank.

As far as I can remember, the book states that the tank must be able to vent dripping fuel out of the car (as in, it can't be a tank in a sealed enclosure). What I sincerely want to do is move the mass from where it currently is (beyond the rear wheels) because high polar moment of intertia is one of the worst mass-effects on handling.

I've yet to have a scrutineer check things like that - in hill-climbing they are restricted to what they can see. However, putting one over the scrutineer and against the blue-book is stupid. The book's advice is there to protect people.

So, thanks for the advice - I think it is sound and at the moment I'm mulling my options. One of the advantage of doing it in cad is that I can change my mind any time up the moment I email the drawing off. Another advantage is that I have the time to create a complex shape to use the volume I have spare rather than have to deal with the financial necessity that is often the case when an off-the-shelf unit is a compromise.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

tasmod

posted on 6/7/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

I didn't realise your car was IRS I had seen Claire's car which looks like a live axle. Without seeing it I leave it to your choice.

Are there any bare chassis pics anywhere ? The Fury is a car I would consider next.

I hillclimbed about 10 years ago and still hanker to try again. I guessed the avatar was at Harewood, looks like the corner I spun off onto grass in icy conditions. Just as you climb up from the lower part of track at the bottom of the hill.

The scrut's have power to stop you competing in an event on safety grounds, then you have to appeal to MSA which costs !! They know 99.9% won't anyway.

I had one who did it to me until I could bodge another bracket for the silencer, even though there was nothing wrong with the original single rubber mount on the silencer. Fortunately other competitors helped out.

Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.