Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sensible, big car.
Staple balls

posted on 16/7/12 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sensible, big car.

Following on from the previous issues with my tintop, and the fact the spark plugs are swimming in oil, I've decided it's time for a new one.

Anyway, we're after something estatey or mpv-ish, ideally diesel, and under £1500 with at least 6 months mot.

Anyone got owt?

[Edited on 16/7/12 by Staple balls]

parkiboy

posted on 16/7/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
i'd say you cant go wrong with a volvo v40, my dad had one with 160k on the clock and he used it for towing with no problems at all.

sure you could get a diesel with 100-110k for that price

RK

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
I think they can cost a lot more than your 1500 quid, but I was in an Audi A8 yesterday. I'll remember it the rest of my life.
Bare

posted on 17/7/12 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps Memorable but 1500 is approx 12 months maintenance, not withstanding the inevitable 'unplanned' repairs on that Pig.

[Edited on 17/7/12 by Bare]

RK

posted on 17/7/12 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
You clearly do not understand. I will leave it at that.
bj928

posted on 17/7/12 at 04:45 AM Reply With Quote
my money would go to a ford galaxy diesel, bags of room, vw diesel under the bonnet, go well and good on fuel, i use my mates for a while aand it was better on fuel than my diesel mondeo 2.0 tddi

or plan B a nice big e-class diesel estate, plenty of E300 turbo diesels about at that money

locoboy

posted on 17/7/12 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
B5 passat estate is within budget and ticks all the boxes I think.

ATB
Locoboy

Wheels244

posted on 17/7/12 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
If you could stretch to £2500 I might be able to persuade my wife to sell her black Seat Alhambra Tiptronic 1.9tdi 52 plate.
Owned it for over 6 years - without doubt the most useful car we've ever had !!
Take the rear 5 seats out and it's as big as a van.
Great tow vehicle too.

40inches

posted on 17/7/12 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have just bought a SAAB 9-5 Aero HOT estate, simular to this, but with 95000 on the clock for £850. Lots of room and very fast

Steve Hignett

posted on 17/7/12 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a 1997 Audi A4 TDi 110 Avant (estate) that is For Sale at the moment.
I can't get onto Facebook on this computer, to grab my photo's back to show you, but it is the car below.

It has been a great car for us.
My wife has been using it for the past 18 months. She only drives 3.4 miles to work and back every day and she gets on average about 51.1 mpg. When I use it for work (10 miles) I get about 56 mpg and on a run it will get 62 mpg. It's obviously great on fuel. It's not absolutely massive inside but it is pretty spacious. We have a 2 year old boy, and babies take up twice as much room as adults because of car seats, pushchairs etc and we've been camping in it a few times.

It tows really quite well even though it's only a 110 bhp. If it were my car to be used every day, I would have bought one of the tuning boxes off ebay, as it could use an extra 30 or so bhp, but the torque is very respectable...

It is not the best colour hence the car being cheaper than your average silver/black/grey Audi etc.

The only reason we are selling is because a cheap Freelander came up for sale and my wife has been wanting one for years...

I think it's only got a few months MOT left on it, but it'll fly through the next one, so would be happy to put 12 months on it for the buyer, if so needed.

If anyone wants to see more photo's of the car, then please add me as a friend on Facebook and I will "OK you" and you'll see about a dozen or so decent and upo to date snaps on there. Mind you, only of the exterior as I only got chance to valet the exterior, the interior will be valeted this weekend and I will put the photo's up of the inside when it's clean.

It has it's downside just like any second hand car - it has done 200k miles and is still going strong. It had all it's belts done a few 000k miles ago and the Romanian guy that did the belts said that now they were kept in good order, the car could see 300k, 400k easy!
It will need a new screen putting on it. I have shifted the Audi's insurance over to the Freelander already so that my wife stayed insured, and I should have claimed on the insurance and paid the £70/75 and had it done, but it slipped my mind and now it's too late..
And I think it'll need a TRE doing on the pasenger front sometime soon.
Apart from that it is an absolutely great car, and it will be a shame to see it go. There's loads more room inside it than the Freelander!

Anyway - I would like £895 for the car.
Please, if you (or anyone) is interested in this bargain of a car ( ), then please send me a U2U and I will answer any questions you may have...

Kind regards,
Steve

bill132hotrod

posted on 17/7/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cheep big car

I would go for a MG ZTT Diesel Or the Rover 75 Diesel but only the BMW diesel engined one none of the petrol one's.
You can pick up a bloody good car for peanuts if you shop around, the Connoisseur is the best rover 75 full leather and all the toys you want plus look for one with cruise.

PERSEVERANCE is the word of the week. Stick with it the results are SWEET.

Irony

posted on 17/7/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
My brother was a mechanic now turned lecturer in engineering and he won't stop buying diesel Mondeo estates. Says they are reliable, cheap and massive enough to get all his rockband amps and stuff in.
mark chandler

posted on 17/7/12 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
My 52 plate 1.9tdi V40 cost £1,100 a year ago with a years tax, it's a great car no rattles 40+ mpg over the last 7000 miles with only 157,000 miles on the clock now.

Leather, A/C and pulls the little car around without any fuss.

Highly recommended.

Staple balls

posted on 17/7/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all, wifey managed to pick herself up a v reg fiat multipla for £500, and our dead vectra as PX (no idea how she blagged that, we had to jump it to get it down there!)

There's a bit of nasty rust that needs sorting, and the flexi is a little frayed, but MoT until june next year.

Ugly frigging thing though, I'm gonna buy some green hammerite and disguise it as a frog.

Staple balls

posted on 21/7/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Balls. Had a proper poke at the multipla before actually doing the deal and had to walk away, put my finger through the chassis.

Anyone got owt cheap (~£550) going? SWMBO has decided I don't get as much as I wanted to play with, something to do with laminate floor.

Slimy38

posted on 21/7/12 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls put my finger through the chassis.

Classic!!

I'd agree with Irony and go for a Mondeo TDCi. There's thousands of them, plenty of choice at all price ranges. OK, they may need a few things fixing, and they may be high miles at your sort of money, but still a decent car. Better than the equivalent Vectra, obviously not up to Audi or Volvo standards though.

britishtrident

posted on 21/7/12 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
An old Monedo TDCi is a big bill waiting to happen.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.