Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heating problem - is it okay to use the Heater unit in the car?
Northpole

posted on 21/8/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Heating problem - is it okay to use the Heater unit in the car?

I have a Spitfire with Hayabusa engine.
I did connect the pipes from the radiator that goes to the Head on the motor to the Heater unit in the car. I am having some heating problems, the heat goes all the way to red limit and the Fan does not start. The connections to the Fan and the Fan itself are okay.

If the problem is the sensor on the right hand side on the Radiator is causing the problem, how can I test the sensor?

Can the Heater unit cause this heating problem? I have tried as I can to eliminate air in the Radiator. Is it okay to use the Heater in the car?
I did notice another thing, the pipe that goes into the Heater unit is warm but the outgoing pipe is cold...Maybe the waterpump is not capable to have Heater unit connected?

All good comments and help greatly appreciated!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/8/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Check the wiring from the thermostatic switch by shorting the 2 connections together with the ignition on. he fan should kick in.

If that is OK, then you need to check the switch. Take it out, pop it in a pan of water and heat up whilst measuring the resistance with a multimeter. If it is OK it should start to reduce as the temperature increases.

Also, as you say that the wate in is hot and water out is cold then it probably is a blocked matrix. You need to reverse-flush it to make sure it's clear.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Northpole

posted on 21/8/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Check the wiring from the thermostatic switch by shorting the 2 connections together with the ignition on. he fan should kick in.

If that is OK, then you need to check the switch. Take it out, pop it in a pan of water and heat up whilst measuring the resistance with a multimeter. If it is OK it should start to reduce as the temperature increases.

Also, as you say that the wate in is hot and water out is cold then it probably is a blocked matrix. You need to reverse-flush it to make sure it's clear.

HTH

Thank you very much for your help!

I did check the wiring from the thermostatic switch and the fan kicked in.

I will next check the thermostatic switch the way you recommended

Yes regarding the heater unit itself I have to find if it does matter which way the water goes in to it, I am searching on info on that issue.

But generally, is it okay to use heater for this motor? Does our friends in the BEC business do so?

Thanks,
sigurjon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/8/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I can't help with the BEC question as I am running a Pinto in my Locost.

I am sure someone will be along soon with some more information.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

adithorp

posted on 21/8/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure I understand how you have it plumbed in... Have you got it so the water from the engine goes through the radiator, then the heater, then back to the engine? If so I doubt the water pump will cope and that the heater will allow enough flow.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

britishtrident

posted on 21/8/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds much more like a thermostat related problem, without knowing the exact thermostat set up on these engine I would only be guessing to say more.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

maccmike

posted on 21/8/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
suspend the sensor in water, dont let it touch the pan. Place a thermometer as close to it to get an accurate reading. While your there you may as well check the stat, same principle.
Check both for on and off not just on.

Northpole

posted on 21/8/12 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Not sure I understand how you have it plumbed in... Have you got it so the water from the engine goes through the radiator, then the heater, then back to the engine? If so I doubt the water pump will cope and that the heater will allow enough flow.

The way I did connect the heater in the car is:
- I connected the pipe (smaller one on the Hayabusa) going from the radiator at the top just under the cab (not the overflow one), to the heater in the car.
- Then from the heater (in the car) to the head connection under the Throttlebody.

I hope this works. I have just finished my project - the only thing I am not 100% sure off is if it does matter which way the water should to in to the heater in the car.

Northpole

posted on 21/8/12 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
It works now, but why? The gauge shows a little over middle, should be okay, or?

I did not have the reservoir tank for the water, so I put a big bottle there and started the engine several times, let the air bobbles come in the bottle and then cooled it down. The radiator sucked up some water each time and finally the fan worked!

Maybe this was caused by air bobbles in the system?

Does anyone know how big this reservoir tank should be?

But still I have to be sure that the heater in the car will not stop the water flow. That is why it would be very nice to hear from you guys if anyone is using the heater in his/her car?

Thanks great site!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.