Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Idler Pulleys?
me!

posted on 21/8/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Idler Pulleys?

Evening all,

In the continuing story of the worlds slowest Zetec install, I would like to pick the collective brains!

Having changed my mind about how to do my alternator/waterpump drive a couple of times, I have now settled on this:

FEAD
FEAD

What I would like to do if possible is route the belt back 180 degrees around the alternator, over the top of the currently unused idler, then down to the crank pulley. This is to increase belt wrap on both the alternator and crank pulley, and to also give me a better ability to tension the belt over the reasonably limited movement I have. I have seen this done on here before, but I can't find the pic. Does anyone know which idler to use for this? My current one is too large (70mm I believe, from a Focus).

Thanks in advance,

Craig

austin man

posted on 21/8/12 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
does this replicate the original setup ? ie is the waterpump turning the right way your pump willrun anti clockwise with this set up is this the same as would have been found in the car the engine came from if not the flow will be a problem

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Dusty

posted on 21/8/12 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm six years in this type of routing. A fixed idler above the waterpump pulley and an adjustable alternator about 1 inch and by choosing the right belt from halfords it has been fine. Halfords part numbers are belt length in mm and letters to identify V, multi V, etc.
[img] waterpumpbelt
waterpumpbelt
[/img]

me!

posted on 22/8/12 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yes the water pump will be turning the right way.

I'm sure it will be fine as it is (with a slightly shorter belt obv!), I just thought that if there is a standard idler that fits I'd throw it on. Is that your engine dusty- I thought you had an ST? It looks like its had some money spent on it!

emwmarine

posted on 22/8/12 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
I'm six years in this type of routing. A fixed idler above the waterpump pulley and an adjustable alternator about 1 inch and by choosing the right belt from halfords it has been fine. Halfords part numbers are belt length in mm and letters to identify V, multi V, etc.
[img] waterpumpbelt
waterpumpbelt
[/img]

Do you run it without a cam belt cover. It looks much better open but is it vulnerable to stones or anything flying into the cam belt??

Building a Dax Rush.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.