Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Welding helmet to buy??
gregf27

posted on 6/12/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Which Welding helmet to buy??

I'm after a new auto darkening welding helmet for christmas - hints have been dropped to the family!!!

my last one has fallen to bits after welding up a mates series 2 landrover chassis!!

Can I ask the troops , what type they recommend and costs, any helpful links will be great. ( not into the "skull" or any other mask type ones!)

I mostly use mig, but also do some stick welding.

thanks in advance

Greg

Simon

posted on 6/12/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Got mine off eBay for £27. It's fine

I'll have to check back thru my eBay account to see who I got from as it's in mothers garage at the mo

ATB

Simon

imp paul

posted on 6/12/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
hi there i have this 1 and its very very good http://www.weldequip.com/swp-welding-helmet.htm
blakep82

posted on 6/12/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
i got an esab origo tech one, some people say very good, some people say not so good, i like mine lots though, i'd recommend one. got mine on ebay, about £60 i think?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Davey D

posted on 6/12/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
How much are you looking to spend?

If you want something in the budget range, then Esab Origio is cheap enough, yet not bad quality. An alternative is the parweld x915 which is same sort of quality as the Esab origio, but it also has a grinder mode.

Being an engineering/fabrication company we get big discount on screens, so can get the x915 for £30 which is a bargain.

If you want something better quality, then the 3m/speedglas 9002d is available for around £130.

I personally have an air Fed version of the Esab Origin for home use, which has served me well. Cost around £300, but at work I have an air fed 3m speedglas 9100FX with flex view. Cost over £600, but is vastly superior to the Esab

Stott

posted on 6/12/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would personally buy a speedglass one, purely because I find it sits close enough to my face to allow welding with my head down, with a light directly above me, also I guess because it's light and comfortable.

I now have use of an esab eye tech, admittedly it's donkeys years old - one of the first auto dim helmets out, but when you have a light above you, it lights up the inside of the helmet and you see a reflection of it in the glass rather than the work through the glass.

The eye tech also doesn't go auto-off so I have a taped reminder inside to turn it off whereas if you forget with a speedglass it will switch off itself, they are prob all like this now though.

That's my 2d anywho

Edit: I didn't fully read the post above, the 9002D is the one I used to have in work and I can recommend it, top stuff

[Edited on 6/12/12 by Stott]

T66

posted on 6/12/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
My fabricator son in law uses Speedglas for work, very expensive - he put me onto Parweld , which in his words works as well as the Speedglas one

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/parweld-xr915h-light-reactive-welding-hel-p85463

Simon

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Found it -

Welding masks

ATB

Simon

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to consider is if the mask is solar powered and is kept in a dark garage and not used all the time it will die.

I've had two such masks and both went the same way. Both top makes.

Three years ago I bought a battery powered Speedglas 100 and it's still going strong on its original battery.
It also has the advantage of a 3 shade when light and has an 8 setting for those low amp jobs.

Cheers,
Paul G

clanger

posted on 7/12/12 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
might find what you want in the for sale section
Slimy38

posted on 7/12/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Got mine off eBay for £27. It's fine

I'll have to check back thru my eBay account to see who I got from as it's in mothers garage at the mo

ATB

Simon

I paid a similar price for mine from Ebay, seems to work fine and I've not noticed any ill effects. The 'darkening' isn't consistent though, it's darker at the bottom than at the top. But even the lightest part is dark enough.

It's comfortable, runs off an AA battery and has done me proud so I would buy another one no problem.

jps

posted on 7/12/12 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'd just say 'not the £55 one from machine mart'. I think it's a Clarke one. Can't get it to go bright enough to see what I am doing! A cheaper one off e-Bay that I borrow off my brother in law is much better to work with...
T66

posted on 7/12/12 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
The Parweld one I posted, is less than £50, is battery powered, mine has seen lots of work, lives in a cold garage and has had one set of batteries since last year.

Not sure what else you would want from a weld mask, but this one works very well for me.

gregf27

posted on 8/12/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for all your replies, will be having a good look round now,

cheers and beers

Greg

Brian R

posted on 8/12/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've been running a fab shop for almost seven years and we use the Parweld masks. Very good. Inner and outer lenses readily available too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.