Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow Valve Seals
pekwah1

posted on 17/6/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow Valve Seals

Hi Guys,

Does this look right to you guys for replacing the valve seals?
The ones i have look like black rubber mushrooms rather than metal discs?

https://sites.google.com/site/morganatica/engine/ford-cvh/valve-stem-seal-replacement

Regards,
Andy

acb2713

posted on 17/6/13 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
That site is specifically referring to the Ford CVH engine, not the crossflow.

I do not think that would help you on your crossflow engine. You may need to look at a different valve spring compressor, something like the Sealey VS160

I have heard of people stuffing rope in the combustion chamber to prop up the valve, while removing the collets. I have never tried this myself, so I cannot vouch for it.

Regards,

Albert

mark chandler

posted on 17/6/13 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
On a crossflow you can get away with some cord and make something to lever down the spring seat off the rocker shaft, a bit of flat steel with a 3/4" hole drilled in it wide enough to remove the collets.

Remove the rocker shaft, split down to clean then put back without the springs and rockers, this then gives you something to lever against.

Now wind down the piston down in the bore you are dealing with, now place a socket over the spring retainer and give it a sharp tap with a small hammer to loosen the collets on both valves.

Next, drop a foot of cord into the plug hole and wind the engine over until it compresses the cord against the valves.

Now using you new tool using something to protect the rocker shaft, bit of plastic or rubber lever down the spring seat with the valve and collets in view through the drilled hole, extract the collets.

You can now remove the spring etc and replace the seal, then reverse to restore and move to cylinder no.2

As the valves are straight on to the pistons there is minimal risk of damage

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.