Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats the best rad for zx12r driven hard!!
Doyleee

posted on 7/9/13 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the best rad for zx12r driven hard!!

Hi all i know this subject has been covered so many times from trawling through old posts but i have an Mk Indy fitted with a kawasaki zx12r engine with a Nissan Micra radiator,I've had problems in the past from overheating due to it not being burped properly but now that is sorted and is fine driven semi hard on road even on hot days but its now getting too hot on a hard 20 min track session I've read through loads of comments saying polo rads and Micras are fine but i think that might be the case for road use however I intend to do more track days.

I spoke to Andy at ABPERFORMANCE today who is always extremely helpful and offered me an alternative:

Alloy rad but rad is 298 fan is 75 fitting bracket is 22 all PLUS VAT and carriage which if that is the only way i pay it.

Mk do rad for 280inc plus carriage and 57 for fan built to go in Mk.

Rally design do Polo alloy rad for 180 inc postage

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=16443

Is it possible that i have an old Micra rad and a polo one has a bigger core which would be alot better for £27 for rad obviously plus new fan.

Can anyone shed light on this subject please

[Edited on 7/9/13 by Doyleee]

bigfoot4616

posted on 7/9/13 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quite a few people use polo rads with R1 engines fine but no matter what i tried i couldn't get more than 15 minutes on a warm trackday.

i got an alloy rad from andy bates and while not cheap it has sorted the temps out, was out one hot trackday for almost 30 minutes and the temps where stable at just over 100 all the time.

a mate got one from radtec, they made it with the smaller inlet/outlet's to suit the bike engine hose sizes. it looked identical to mine. he got it a bit cheaper.

above mentioned temps of just over 100 is oil, coolant was low/mid 90's

[Edited on 7/9/13 by bigfoot4616]

twybrow

posted on 7/9/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Before you change your rad, I would look at what thermostat you have. Kawasaki did two different parts for the zx12 - one for hotter climates and one for more temperate climes. The lower temp stat opens at 67C, and I think this is what i have. My water temp sits at 70-75C, and gets to 95C on a track.

I never have an overheating issue and I only have a Polo rad.

snapper

posted on 7/9/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with above
Lower opening thermostat makes a big difference
You also need to duct all the air from the nose through the rad and make vents for the hot air in the bay to leave
I prop the rear bonnet up by 5mm others use the Dax side panel vent system to good effect

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

bigfoot4616

posted on 7/9/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
not sure the stat will make any difference, if your worried about coolant temps they will be over 100 so i would of thought whatever stat is fitted will be fully open by then.

its worth trying ducting the rad and cutting some vents, doing both did improve mine and meant it took a few minutes longer to get to hot but i ultimately had to go alloy rad.

GOJO

posted on 7/9/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have zzr 14 with alloy rad ebay honda vtec with pressure cap £70 ish , with 12" pull fan vented bonnet and 3 2" holes in back edge of bonnet each side and no problems
Doyleee

posted on 8/9/13 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with bigfoot4616 stat would be fully open so i would still get same problem once warmed up.

GOJO, i found this one on ebay:
HONDA CIVIC B16 B18 D16 D15 VTEC EG SI 92-95 ALUMINIUM HIGH FLOW RACE RADIATOR

but looks like dimensions are wrong way round i.e it will be on side, is this the one?or can you advise please? do you also have you any pics of the holes you cut,I did look on your archive but could'nt seen them

I'm in no doubt what so ever Andy is selling a quality item that will solve my problems but with postage its about £500 and i was hoping for cheaper alternative like what GOJO suggested

bigfoot4616

posted on 8/9/13 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
try radtec telling them what size inlet and outlet you want, get a cheap fan and make your own mounting brackets for the fan.

a more expensive fan wont make any difference to temps at track speed anyway.

Westfield VW Polo Alloy Radtec Universal Radiator

this ones cheaper. the welding doesn't look as tidy in the pic and it states 50mm thick, the radtec is 58mm.
Universal Kit Car &' VW Polo Fitting Aluminium Alloy Radiator - High Performance

[Edited on 8/9/13 by bigfoot4616]

britishtrident

posted on 8/9/13 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the picture of your car I wonder if it is really more of an air flow problem.
The lack of air exit routes from the engine bay is choking the air flow through the rad.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Doyleee

posted on 8/9/13 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
You could be right britishtrident i'll agree i need to make exit holes but really have strong suspicion that the rads not 'man enough'
ashg

posted on 8/9/13 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
try radtec telling them what size inlet and outlet you want, get a cheap fan and make your own mounting brackets for the fan.

a more expensive fan wont make any difference to temps at track speed anyway.

Westfield VW Polo Alloy Radtec Universal Radiator

this ones cheaper. the welding doesn't look as tidy in the pic and it states 50mm thick, the radtec is 58mm.
Universal Kit Car &' VW Polo Fitting Aluminium Alloy Radiator - High Performance

wow the ali welding on those is shocking.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

bigfoot4616

posted on 8/9/13 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
which i suppose the price reflects.
franky

posted on 9/9/13 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Find out which one MK are offering then buy it direct cutting out the middle man? As before you'll need to vent your engine bay properly first.
Doyleee

posted on 9/9/13 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
How can i find out which one Mk sell as they probably would'nt tell me which i can understand as there in business to make money I'm thinking of alternatives like this:
HONDA CIVIC CRX DEL SOL VTi ALLOY RAD RADIATOR

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.