Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What happened with my type 9?
Nitrogeno25

posted on 24/11/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
What happened with my type 9?

After a short blast I found a big oil leak from the gearbox. Today I finally take it out and found this:

This is a standard type 9, and it doesn't look good It seems that the case is broken and metal debris are around this area.

The box was rebuild 2K miles ago and was working fine even when I stop after dissasembly.

What do you think?

Many thanks.

madteg

posted on 24/11/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like bearing has seized and spun the outer race casing casing to brake.
big-vee-twin

posted on 24/11/13 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
The type 9 layshaft does come through the casing by design.

The shaft is then held in place by the flat face on the back of the bell housing.

The Duratec bell tends to have a hollow or pocket in the back, so a bolt is put in place like the pic below to stop the shaft moving forward.

Do you have a bolt in place?

[img] Layshaft retaining bolt
Layshaft retaining bolt
[/img]

[Edited on 24/11/13 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Nitrogeno25

posted on 24/11/13 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
The type 9 layshaft does come through the casing by design.

The shaft is then held in place by the flat face on the back of the bell housing.

The Duratec bell tends to have a hollow or pocket in the back, so a bolt is put in place like the pic below to stop the shaft moving forward.

Do you have a bolt in place?

[img] Layshaft retaining bolt
Layshaft retaining bolt
[/img]

[Edited on 24/11/13 by big-vee-twin]

Yes I made a spacer out of aluminium (threaded and bolted to the bellhousing).

Could this be a result of improper assembly?

[Edited on 25/11/13 by Nitrogeno25]

Nitrogeno25

posted on 24/11/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I undestand the layshaft come through the casing, but it seems the bearing also come in mine (it was not like that obviously.)

Could it be the bearing that support the gear cluster was placed incorrectly causing it to seized and start turning causing the casing to brake like that (almost like the bearing has machined the casing from the inside)?

I'm preparing the wallet now

[Edited on 24/11/13 by Nitrogeno25]

Dusty

posted on 25/11/13 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
Some type 9 boxes were made as original with a heavier duty front layshaft bearing. (i.e. V6 boxes) but these had a three bolt plate holding the bearing and a machined slot in the back of the bellhousing to accommodate the plate. Not one of those I think. BGH certainly do an uprated front layshaft bearing, fitted flush with the front face of the box but no plate the hole for it having been machined straight through from the front. Intended to be used with the standard bellhousing which closes it off and holds it in place. I suspect it is one of these although not necessarily BGH, Quaife and others did them.
If it's been used with a spacer or bellhousing with the machined slot like the duratec spacer shown the bearing may have been unsupported from the front and moved before seizing.

Nitrogeno25

posted on 25/11/13 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
Some type 9 boxes were made as original with a heavier duty front layshaft bearing. (i.e. V6 boxes) but these had a three bolt plate holding the bearing and a machined slot in the back of the bellhousing to accommodate the plate. Not one of those I think. BGH certainly do an uprated front layshaft bearing, fitted flush with the front face of the box but no plate the hole for it having been machined straight through from the front. Intended to be used with the standard bellhousing which closes it off and holds it in place. I suspect it is one of these although not necessarily BGH, Quaife and others did them.
If it's been used with a spacer or bellhousing with the machined slot like the duratec spacer shown the bearing may have been unsupported from the front and moved before seizing.

I'm almost sure I could only see the layshaft through the case, now the hole seems bigger and the bearing is exposed. I found debris when I unbolted the bellhousing so something is really wrong there.

Can these be fixable (without a new gearbox)?

Paul Turner

posted on 25/11/13 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like no other type 9 I have ever seen. If it was built like that it was a bodge to begin with. Cannot see how the bearing could damage the case to the extent visible. Honestly you have a serious issue. The case is almost certainly knackered unless it could be modified for a bigger bearing compatible with the HD front spiggot.
Nitrogeno25

posted on 25/11/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
That looks like no other type 9 I have ever seen. If it was built like that it was a bodge to begin with. Cannot see how the bearing could damage the case to the extent visible. Honestly you have a serious issue. The case is almost certainly knackered unless it could be modified for a bigger bearing compatible with the HD front spiggot.

No, it wasn't build like that, I'm sure because I fitted this gearbox less than a year ago. Interesting that the box was working fine, no noises, perfect gearchanges. I removed it because of the big leak between the box and bellhousing.

Thanks!

Paul Turner

posted on 25/11/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that the minimum required would be a replacement casing, layshaft, bearings, gaskets etc and a good deal of praying that the laygear assembly, gears etc are all OK.
Nitrogeno25

posted on 25/11/13 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
I would suggest that the minimum required would be a replacement casing, layshaft, bearings, gaskets etc and a good deal of praying that the laygear assembly, gears etc are all OK.

Yes, or I'm thinking of a new box from SPC o BGH... not that easy being from the other side of the world, but I'll try.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.