Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: windscreen frame meterial?
baz-R

posted on 27/2/14 at 05:10 AM Reply With Quote
windscreen frame meterial?

anyone know what i can use and where i could get some aloy section sutable to make my own screen frame for a flat glass screen?

idealy i want somthing that is bendable and has a radius on its edge like a u shape if i can.

snapper

posted on 27/2/14 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy the frames from GBS
But if you want to do it the Haynes way finding grooved bottom section and radiused top is difficult
As it Ally filling your own radius is easy, metal file the edges then wet & dry the whole frame to a polished finish

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

acb2713

posted on 27/2/14 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps you can make your own section using a solid square section of the appropriate size.

Aluminium is perfectly workable using woodworking tools. At the very least, a router and a couple of tungsten carbide tipped tools, are required. A jig or two, to guide the router, or better still, a table mounted router, would make life easier. It does not need to be a fancy table, just a flat surface to which the router can be fitted from underneath and a fence can be fitted on top. A circular saw, or preferably a saw table if available, can also be used to remove the bulk of the material, to create the U channel. Take a number of passes and make small cuts at each pass. A round-over bit can be used to create the radius around the edges.

Purchase the material beforehand, so you can plan accordingly. Screen to scuttle trim can be obtained here as can other sections of trim to go around the glass.

In either case, make adequate use of push sticks to keep hands away from cutting blades. Keep safe.

Not Anumber

posted on 27/2/14 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I couldnt find anywhere to buy the extrusions so ended up ordering one from GBS which fits the Indy nicely.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.