Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: XE Alternator Tension bar
BMF

posted on 4/11/04 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
XE Alternator Tension bar

Any one fitted carbs to a XE engine?

When you remove the original inlet manifold there doesn't seem to be anywhere to mount a alternator tension bar.

I have also thrown the original bar by mistake! so any ideas?

ned

posted on 4/11/04 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
though not done it mytself yet, i gather a lot of people move the alternator to the other side of the engine as it can get in the way of carbs and steering column..

Ned.

edit: if you know what the tensioner bar looks like i probably have a spare somewhere..

[Edited on 4/11/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BMF

posted on 4/11/04 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Ned

It is not a problem on Velocity with the steering column etc.

Can't remember what it looks like, or even having one to be honest.

Ben

PioneerX

posted on 4/11/04 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Guys,

The Tention bar is about 6in long flat steel (one inch wide) with a slot down the middle and a hole in the end. It mornally bolts direct to the manifold.

I have to admit to being a little worried about this when I list my EFI to put carbs on, but I made sure I puchased a manifold with the correct hole drilled as I could not move my alt to the other side.

Unfortunatly I cant remember have a photo on my website that included the bar, but you never know.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 4/11/04 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
As PioneerX says, make sure the inlet manifold you are buying (if not already donr so) comes with the facility for mounting the alt bracket.

His top bracket description is pretty good too, except the 16v bracket has a 'big eye' on the manifold end, with a rubber bush, This also means that you must run an earth wire to the alt body...

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

DavidC

posted on 10/12/05 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same issue with my westfield build. The inlet manifold on mine is the caterham one, which I assume comes from the caterham HPCs.

There's no way that I can use the original tensioner bracket, but I could modify it.

Does anyone have a photo of the alternator installation in a Caterham HPC as this might give me the herlp I need to source a suitable bracket.

Thanks

DC

chriscook

posted on 11/12/05 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Not a caterham HPC i'm afraid. But I fitted a Suzuki swift alternator on the opposite side of my XE in my Phoenix. I made both the pivot bracket at the bottom and the tensioner bracket. Photo below is in its not quite finished off state. the bottom bracket in just a length of 1" angle with a couple of square gussets that the mouning both goes through. Rescued attachment alternator2s.jpg
Rescued attachment alternator2s.jpg

DavidC

posted on 11/12/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'm scared of wiring, I'd prefer to keep the alternator on thel et side as that's where the loom currently goes on my westfield.

I also have space over there to fit it, just this darn top bracket that's holding me back.....and the fact that the car is in a garage 100 miles away and I can't get there cos the bleedin' M1's closed today and the roads are blocked with panic buyers at petrol stations Grrrrr!!!!

I'll have to find some scrap steel from somewhere and bodge a bracket.

DC

ps, anyone have any recommendations of someone to transport a 99% complete car from Warwick to North London? I've seen services advertised on eBay, but never enquired about price. I might have to this week.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.