Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Revotec Speedo Not Working
T0MMY

posted on 17/5/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Revotec Speedo Not Working

The Revotec speedo in my new MNR Vortx R1 doesn't work, just wondering if anyone knows how to test it with a multimeter? It uses a sensor that picks up the bolts on the propshaft which seems to be positioned properly. I just want to check whether it's the sensor not sending a signal or the speedo unit itself that's at fault but there's 8 or so wires going into the back of it and I've no idea what I'm looking for.
cerbera

posted on 17/5/14 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
The second link on the first post here may help.

Also, I fitted a revotec speedo to my first kit years ago. Granted your sensor my be different to the one that came with mine, but mine used four magnets that I glued onto the prop to calculate the speed. Are you sure yours uses the bolts or have the magnets fallen off?

[Edited on 17/5/14 by cerbera]

T0MMY

posted on 18/5/14 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
It's positioned to pass within a couple of mm of the bolts so I assume it works off them but maybe the original installer got it wrong! I'll have another look today...not so fussed about the speed indication but the gear indicator doesn't work either which I presume needs the speedo.
T0MMY

posted on 19/5/14 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Had another look and it definitely doesn't seem like there could have been magnets stuck on there anywhere.

Would I expect to see voltage pulses on a multimeter connected to the relevant wires from the sensor if the propshaft was spinning? I'm just wondering how I can check if it's the sensor or the gauge itself that is the issue.

EDIT: Just had another look and the sensor has an LED light on it which should flash each time it picks up a bolt head. Mine is constantly on which would suggest it's knackered but I can't find any info on it. The head of the sensor is worn down slightly on one side so clearly it's been hitting the bolts on the propshaft. Looks like a new sensor required basically.

[Edited on 19/5/14 by T0MMY]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.