Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  8    9    10    11    12    13  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jag V6 dyno results (at last)
sdh2903

posted on 29/3/21 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could try fitting 6 x 45mm ones instead
Oddified

posted on 29/3/21 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903

Before going the turbo route i did look at the Jenvey TB's, not cheap but i bet they sound awesome!

sdh2903

posted on 29/3/21 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
quote:

Before going the turbo route i did look at the Jenvey TB's, not cheap but i bet they sound awesome!

I'm trying it on a much much smaller budget

magpies

posted on 29/3/21 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
throttle cable or Fly By Wire?

aiming for about 270bhp which seems to be middle of the road, but more importantly driveability as the car will be used for 'touring' and the wife will drive it too.
60 or 65mm throttle body being the choice of ST200.220.
These are cable operated .

I have a TVR with the Jag engine and a Fly By Wire
70mm Throttle Body - mapped by Joolz.
There is a bit of 'hunting' at tickover, Joolz again saying low power throttle response it better with the cable operated TB's. Also better with the smaller TBs

This engine will have to have Cats fitted as it is a 1993, so looking at Kraken 200 or even 100 cell units.

[Edited on 29/3/21 by magpies]

mgb281

posted on 15/4/21 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have the opportunity to buy the Mondeo Fidanza flywheel for less than the cost of having my ST200 flywheel refaced, balanced and lightened, in fact if I sold the ST200 one I would be pounds in pocket. BUT will I have a problem with the starter engaging the flywheel from the wrong side? Is it a good or bad move?

Cheapest 65mm throttle body is this; https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-04-GRAND-MARQUIS-Throttle-Body/301834522457?hash=item4646bd4f59%3Ag%3A4oIAAOSwSHZWfujf&LH_ItemCondition=4
The seller is not stating postage but when I enquired about one (different seller) they sent it with Ebay's Global Shipping Program. I have now forgotten how much the total was but I have posted it somewhere on this forum. Standard Ford TPS plug as well

[Edited on 15/4/21 by mgb281]

Oddified

posted on 15/4/21 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I believe there's two versions of Fidanza flywheel with differing back spacing and use different clutch cover and release bearing positions. Just something to look into/check out.
mgb281

posted on 15/4/21 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Its the Fidanza flywheel for 2.5 Mondeos, since we know the standard 2.5 Mondeo flywheel works this one should too. The only thing in my mind is the starter engaging from the wrong side but the ring gear sits on a shoulder which should prevent it moving, that assuming that it does.
big_wasa

posted on 15/4/21 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
What gearbox are you using ?
mgb281

posted on 15/4/21 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
5 speed RX8, I am sure that we all know that the internet quotes that fifth gear is 0.82 when we in Europe got 0.76
big_wasa

posted on 16/4/21 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
If you are using Johnathan's adapter plate then NO the jag starter motor will not match the ford flywheel ring gear. The jag has a bigger dia and differant pitch.

Two options.
Modify the Ford flywheel to take the jag ring gear.
Or
Modify the starter motor and adapter very slightly.

mgb281

posted on 16/4/21 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have already modified both Freddy’s adapter plate and the S type starter motor and they do fit. The question is all about the Fidanza flywheel which is the correct one for Mondeo so the same dimensions as the ST24/200. I cannot remember which is the lighter one but that’s what I have. My build is the standard one that most of you are following; 2002 S Type engine, Freddy’s adapter plate, RX8 5 speed gearbox, ST220 sump, ST200 inlet manifold, ST220 lower inlet manifold, Crown Victoria 65mm throttle body, Mazda Tribute crank pulley and Rocketeer ECU and loom.
Back to the question, will I have a problem with the starter motor engaging the flywheel from the opposite side intended? I think not because the ring gear sits on a shoulder and is retained by set screws.

big_wasa

posted on 16/4/21 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think you will have a problem if the flywheel has the same offset.
I don't think the pinion is going to hit the ring gear and try and push it of.

sdh2903

posted on 9/7/21 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
What do you guys have your rev limits set to (stock engine) ?

Mine is going back on the dyno at the end of the month for a map check after an engine swap and toying with lifting the limit a bit. Currently set at 7k and the power was still climbing.

CosKev3

posted on 9/7/21 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
What do you guys have your rev limits set to (stock engine) ?

Mine is going back on the dyno at the end of the month for a map check after an engine swap and toying with lifting the limit a bit. Currently set at 7k and the power was still climbing.

Mine was 7100 rpm and still climbing,but Dale didn't want to go any higher on standard rods.

Also check your alternator ratio can handle more revs,I was knackering alternators with standard crank pulley so fitted a TTV under drive one now on the new build.

40inches

posted on 9/7/21 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
7200 still climbing
Oddified

posted on 9/7/21 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
From what i read, the standard rods are the limit as they stretch/go oval on the big ends, drop oil pressure then spin bearings. When i ran a standard engine i set the limiter to 7000rpm.

Forged rods and ARP bolts opens the door somewhat

mgb281

posted on 9/7/21 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
From what i read, the standard rods are the limit as they stretch/go oval on the big ends, drop oil pressure then spin bearings. When i ran a standard engine i set the limiter to 7000rpm.

Forged rods and ARP bolts opens the door somewhat

That makes a lot of sense, I have read many times about the spun bearing problems but it has always been attributed to low oil level/starvation. Easy way for a manufacturer to avoid warranty claims.

Partofthechaos

posted on 12/7/21 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm struggling to find an ST200 flywheel, can anyone suggest a good place to get them from please?
SPYDER

posted on 12/7/21 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgb281
...The question is all about the Fidanza flywheel...

...Back to the question, will I have a problem with the starter motor engaging the flywheel from the opposite side intended? I think not because the ring gear sits on a shoulder and is retained by set screws.

I have a Fidanza flywheel on my 3SGE engine and the starter motor is the "wrong way round" similar to yours. All I did was to chamfer the ring gear teeth on the opposite edges and I've had no problems with it at all.

mgb281

posted on 12/7/21 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you have patience they do come up on ebay, last year I had to drive up to Stafford and looked on ebay to see what was about and without going five miles off my route I had picked up a AJV6 engine, manual gearbox and a ST200 flywheel for a total of £295 and sold the gearbox and cats for exactly £400! Engine and flywheel was free and £105 more than covered the fuel etc.
Any Mondeo/Cougar V6 flywheel will fit, the only difference is a few pounds in weight but they all weigh far less than the dual mass flywheel. I have decided to go with the ST200 flywheel rather than the Fidanza, a few people who have had Fidanza's have pointed out to me that they are not always perfectly balanced on arrival.

RWD Focus

posted on 13/7/21 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi I have an ST200 flywheel available if anyone is interested
Partofthechaos

posted on 13/7/21 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely interested, will send you a message.
Partofthechaos

posted on 22/7/21 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Which clutch are you guys with the RX8 box using? Is it the ST200 one?
CosKev3

posted on 22/7/21 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Partofthechaos
Which clutch are you guys with the RX8 box using? Is it the ST200 one?

All the 2.5 V6 clutches seem to be the same,240mm drive plate.
I'm using a hybrid plate tgats paddle on one side and organic on the other,from Black Diamond.
It's the clutch they do for Noble owners.

Partofthechaos

posted on 31/8/21 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have another question! As this seems to be the thread for al things AJ30 and you guys have been so helpful, I thought I would add it here.

Between the banks of the older engine is an oil separator. Separating oil and fumes presumably? It is in the way of cleaning the middle of the V (not essential, but it would be nice to tidy it up). Its also looking a bit tatty, so I want to check it hasn't rusted through etc. I can't get it off in one piece without removing one of the heads, which I have no intention of doing.

The newer version of the engine doesn't have this, instead it has a blanking plate. So is it required? Have you guys left it in?

<<  8    9    10    11    12    13  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.