Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: starter does not grip properly
budha

posted on 6/6/21 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
starter does not grip properly

Hi all,

I have a 2l Zetec mounted to a T9 with a raceline flywheel. Finding the right starter motor for that combo was not really easy but I finally got a brise starter 891410PGR.
Well time went by but now I was ready to restart the striker. Most of the time it starts just fine. But sometimes the starter starts spinning without being aligned with the flywheel at all (horrible sound...).
Any tips what could generate that? Could it be the the magnet switch is not fully engaged? Or not fast enough?

Any hints?

BR
Marc

Rallychris

posted on 6/6/21 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me like you have too much axial clearance between the starter pinion (at rest) and the flywheel ring gear teeth. What should happen in a pre-engages starter is that only low power goes to the motor until the solenoid reaches a set throw distance and closes the main contacts. If it is spinning up enough to grind the teeth it may be that the motor is getting too much power (current) before the gear teeth are aligned enough to drive the flywheel.

Robin Hood 2B Mazda Project Started March 2021

starterman

posted on 7/6/21 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
What's the distance from the mounting face to the ring gear?
BAS

posted on 7/6/21 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I had a problem with the teeth on the starter only engaging with the ring gear by 4mm. This would have taken the teeth off the ring. so I milled down stater mounting plate to get 7mm. (Xflow to type 9). The engine had been modified before my time so the flywheel could be different.
budha

posted on 10/6/21 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. Will try to check the distance between starter and flywheel this weekend.
budha

posted on 12/6/21 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Could check the starter again today. The distance between mounting plate an ring gear is 34mm.
Distance between pinion gear and mounting plate starter is around 28mm. Which gives a distance pinion gear -> ring gear of 6mm.
I guess that is too much then?! 4mm seems to be the right distance, so i will probably drill down the mounting plate.

[Edited on 12/6/21 by budha]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.