Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Serpentine belt tensioners
J666AYP

posted on 23/9/21 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Serpentine belt tensioners

Hi gents,

Have been reworking my supercharger mount and have found a slight problem...

Due to the space and canted over engine I really don't have many options on a tensioner setup. I was looking at maybe doing a manual tensioner however the usual suspects on Google are coming up with conflicting information (I know what are the chances of that).

Some are saying that the belt contact area is more important than the tension put on the belt (180° of contact is the goal). I know that a automatic tensioner will be better for when the belt starts to stretch or heats up, but on the other hand its not going to have the service span of a usual tin top. I'm thinking maybe 1/8th of a turn on the adjuster as needed might create a little sweet spot and save me some headache.

Any suggestions?

coyoteboy

posted on 24/9/21 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I think I'd suck it and see how it went. However it's worth pointing out that auto tensioners help with variations from pulley lack of concentricity, and so help with bearing loading. But that may be negligible if your setup is pretty good.

J666AYP

posted on 24/9/21 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ff462/jayxr2zetec/20190711_145043.jpg

Thats what I have to work with ATM. Just the SC and tensioner on one belt. No real span to work with

SteveWalker

posted on 24/9/21 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not have a bracket running from the right mounting point, over the top of the SC pulley, to another mounting point (SC flange or whatever else is around there)?

With a bracket above the pulley, you could perhaps use something like:

Self-adjusting tensioner

I have no idea if that one pushes the right way, but it is just a suggestion of type.

Oddified

posted on 24/9/21 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
When i ran a supercharger, i used a fixed adjustable tensioner (Range Rover P38 air con tensioner pulley) which has an off set 8mm mounting bolt hole. If your pushing boost boost pressure a bit and belt stretch becomes a problem then try using Gates Racing Blue belts....they really do make a big difference.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.