Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Considering a Engine Swap
toolate

posted on 21/3/22 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Considering a Engine Swap

Hi All

I have a relatively well powered and solid 212bhp Zetec engine in my kitcar (9k on the clock from crate). I am considering moving to a 1.6 Ecoboost.

The ecoboost prices seem to be going up and up.

Wondering if anyone had done the swap. I it worth it and is there good value in my engine?

Thanks
TooLate

big_wasa

posted on 21/3/22 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
If your engine has the right bits then it has good value for the kit and classic car scene.
I would say having turbo’d a 7 it really wasn’t for me. Plumbing and heat management in such a small car is also hard work.

toolate

posted on 21/3/22 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
If your engine has the right bits then it has good value for the kit and classic car scene.
I would say having turbo’d a 7 it really wasn’t for me. Plumbing and heat management in such a small car is also hard work.

Thanks for the reply.

I do know cooling can be hard work for low temps but i am seeing more threads on WSCC of people doing 1.6 conversions. Problem is a basic engine on ebay is £1500!

perksy

posted on 21/3/22 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec is a good engine & set-up and yours has decent power in a 7 type car

Guess it depends what you want to use it for, but is it really worth all that's involved?

There's known issues with both the 1 litre and 1.6 litre Ecoboost engines (when used in their original guise) and Ford issued a recall
(Iirc BBC Watchdog covered the issue/s)

Perhaps this is why the prices for used engines has gone up ?

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 23/3/22 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I know Westfield use the Ecoboost in their Sport 250 models, but I've also heard plenty horror stories about cracks in the bores. There is a solution to this which involves machining and top-hat liners, but think the cost of this is about £2k.... If you're after an upgrade, think about the (well-trodden) path or adding a turbo to the Zetec rather than whole engine swap.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Deckman001

posted on 23/3/22 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, check the inlet and exhaust directions across the head as I think they might be in opposite directions between a zetec and an ecoboost engine.
pigeondave

posted on 23/3/22 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with perksy, you need to ask yourself what you're going to use it for.

I have a tuned 2.0 zetec in the Fury and in reality it's too quick for the road as is. I don't track it (I've done 2 track days) and mainly use it for tour.

IMO I felt more of a hero on the old 1.8 using 3/4 throttle than in the 2.0 using 1/2.

If you're going to use it and you can deal with the hassle of an engine swap, then go for it.

You didn't say what style car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MagicalTrevor

posted on 12/5/22 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 1.6 Ecoboost in the for sale section. https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=219355

Fortunately, it has everything you need to fit it into your car.

Aside from the engine I'm selling, if you buy an engine straight from a Fiesta then you'll find it's very bulky with lots of bits that aren't needed. There are vacuum pipes for emissions, a massive alternator and other bits.
SBD and Dave Gemzoe sell lots of bits that blank these things off and make the installation simpler for race car/kit car installation. It's also highly recommended that you install a Dry Sump. They cost £2k.

If you want to chat about what I had to get to fit it all in my car then I'm happy to have a chat, whether you're interested in my engine or not. I've got a bit of experience in the process.

Benzine

posted on 12/5/22 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'd keep it as is and look at electric in another 5+ years. Petrol is going to be an insane cost by then
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 12/5/22 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I'd keep it as is and look at electric in another 5+ years. Petrol is going to be an insane cost by then

I considered that for my car - until I saw the cost of the components!

David Jenkins

posted on 12/5/22 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

I considered that for my car - until I saw the cost of the components! It is quite scary stuff to work on as well, with 300v - 400v batteries, incredibly high currents, plus controllers, chargers, etc, etc. IVA would be a nightmare as well, as they would be looking for professional installations.

Following on from your comments about fuel cost, there will also be the problem of availability of fuel - petrol stations are already starting to disappear (they have been for a while) and when electric cars become more common, and less fuel is sold, fewer people will want to stock it for sale.

[Edited on 12/5/22 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.