Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 4XV wiring help please ,No spark
Knumbskull

posted on 11/7/24 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
R1 4XV wiring help please ,No spark

Hi All.
Just joined and really hope someone can help please.
Just got round to starting on a project which my son got with an R1 4XV engine in (probably 1998).
(Wiring been hacked and mess, etc,so need to work through hopefully eliminating problems.
Just want to know I can achieve a spark and go from there.
I am a complete novice and not familiar with wiring,etc at all so please bear with me (hence the username)
I found a post onthe site posted on 3/9/06 at 04:07 PM which looked absolutely ideal for what I require to help
me as it had a good diagram but no matter what I do I cannot make it clear enough to make out wire colours etc.
Any help regarding getting a clearer view of this and also my no spark problem would be fantastic and greatly appreciated please ?

gremlin1234

posted on 11/7/24 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
welcome

could you please add a link to the post that you refer too.

but a quick search found a different thread that might help you
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=212769

Knumbskull

posted on 11/7/24 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, thank you for your help.
That's a brilliant diagram, the link to what I found is below:
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=a423831-r1.GIF
If I can get one as clear for the 1998 4XV model it will hopefully start me slowly on my way to understanding a bit more clearly as I'm
totally rubbish with wiring but have no other choice than to try and muddle through. All help very appreciated, thank you.

gremlin1234

posted on 11/7/24 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I did a little magic, here is the original gif file,
and following that a jpg version. (sorry its a very big picture)
I hope this means you can read it

r1 diagram from gif now jpg
r1 diagram from gif now jpg

gremlin1234

posted on 11/7/24 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
if there are any bits you can't read in the above images, then ask, I can read all the colour codes etc

the two annotations say

for use with a car Ignition cut the wire here, Connect to 'crank' output from ignition

and
Connect the 'ignition' output from ignition here

Knumbskull

posted on 11/7/24 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
You're an absolute star, thanks so much, this will be an unbelievable help.
Unfortunately the whole thing is a wiring mess and is going to be an uphill struggle for a complete novice like me without a clue of wiring but this will really help to steer me in the right direction hopefully. Don't suppose you could explain what the cycle-lock is and what it looks like so I know please? Once again so grateful for your help.

gremlin1234

posted on 12/7/24 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnumbskullDon't suppose you could explain what the cycle-lock is and what it looks like so I know please?

see
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=31026

Knumbskull

posted on 12/7/24 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Thanks, even with your brilliant help and diagram I think my understanding is going to struggle, if you could pm me I can email you a photo of what I'm up against, wires chopped, etc, wires which I don't know if or where they should be connected, sorry

Knumbskull

posted on 12/7/24 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by KnumbskullDon't suppose you could explain what the cycle-lock is and what it looks like so I know please?

see
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=31026

So grateful for your help. Spent several hours vacantly looking at the wiring.Have took photos, then removed the wiring and took photo of complete harness (total mess, unknown wires, to me anyway, etc. If I can somehow get these photos to you that would be brilliant, as I'd really appreciate any guidance in getting the harness in to a state for purpose of achieving a spark. (just need a simple wiring system to run engine, not concerned about lights, etc) Will totally understand if you think I'm a lost cause. Sorry for being a pain.

JMW

posted on 14/7/24 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I know very little about bike wiring so ignore this if it's rubbish, but isn't there a thing with some bike wiring harnesses that they need to simulate the side stand being 'up'? Nothing to happen unless it's 'up'.

So that the rider can't set off with it still down by mistake?

The diagram makes no mention of this so maybe this isn't relevant, or maybe it's what the cycle lock is? Probably not though.

As I said, please ignore if irrelevant.

Knumbskull

posted on 14/7/24 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JMW
I know very little about bike wiring so ignore this if it's rubbish, but isn't there a thing with some bike wiring harnesses that they need to simulate the side stand being 'up'? Nothing to happen unless it's 'up'.

So that the rider can't set off with it still down by mistake?

The diagram makes no mention of this so maybe this isn't relevant, or maybe it's what the cycle lock is? Probably not though.

As I said, please ignore if irrelevant. [/quote
]
Hi,
Thanks for your input, as any help I can get is truly appreciated. Yes you are correct about the sidestand, same as clutch switch. On the diagram you'll see its at the bottom in between start switch and neutral switch. It's awful trying to rectify stuff when you not feeling competent enough. Once again, thank you.

JMW

posted on 14/7/24 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Ah thanks, Specsavers beckons for me.

Also, I think you need to replace the switch with a resistor for some reason, rather than just completing the circuit.

adithorp

posted on 14/7/24 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
It's daunting but you just need to work through what you've got.
Work methodically, and identify each wire/sensor/relay. Label them all as you go. Masking tape and write on that will do. Get a big print of the wiring diagram (a3) and make notes on that, ticking off things as you identify them.

Once you've done that you'll a) understand how it works better and b) what's been done/not done/ removed.

Things like is the car using the bike loom to run everything or just the motor. I have the bike loom just running the engine and a separate loom for lighting etc. If yours has been done the same you'll find lots of wires cut/removed that would have gone to lights.

Work out if you have the cycle lock. That's the immobiliser. The wiring diagram is deliberately vague on that for security. It's switched via a transponder chip in the key and pickup coil around the ignition lock. It depends on the market the bike was sold in (at least on later engines) so might not be present.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

adithorp

posted on 14/7/24 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JMW
Ah thanks, Specsavers beckons for me.

Also, I think you need to replace the switch with a resistor for some reason, rather than just completing the circuit.

Some sessions require a resistor (or more) to prevent a fauly showing in the bike dash (if your using it) but clutch/side-stand/switches can just be connected to earth. You need to need to earth the neutral for the start logic circuit while keeping the connection between ecu/dash and switch for the neutral light to work.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Knumbskull

posted on 14/7/24 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
It's daunting but you just need to work through what you've got.
Work methodically, and identify each wire/sensor/relay. Label them all as you go. Masking tape and write on that will do. Get a big print of the wiring diagram (a3) and make notes on that, ticking off things as you identify them.

Once you've done that you'll a) understand how it works better and b) what's been done/not done/ removed.

Things like is the car using the bike loom to run everything or just the motor. I have the bike loom just running the engine and a separate loom for lighting etc. If yours has been done the same you'll find lots of wires cut/removed that would have gone to lights.

Work out if you have the cycle lock. That's the immobiliser. The wiring diagram is deliberately vague on that for security. It's switched via a transponder chip in the key and pickup coil around the ignition lock. It depends on the market the bike was sold in (at least on later engines) so might not be present.

Thanks for taking the time getting back with such a good insight. Embarrassed on how little I understand and can't grasp wiring so please bear with me. I think I need to take photos of what the loom is like now,then strip back and trace everything and take more photos. I can't work out how to add photos on here so that was reason I requested a private message so I could hopefully email photos to someone more knowledgeable. Just want a stand alone ignition system for now to see if a spark can be achieved with available wiring as no clocks, etc and go from there. Cheers for your help &#128077;

Knumbskull

posted on 16/7/24 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to get a bit of time, so have removed the wiring, slightly stripped it back, can anyone
advise on how I can add photo on here please? Just thought it would be good to post photo &#129300;before I
venture any further with it (feel apprehensive)

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/7/24 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Go to your photo archive at the top left of the screen, select a reasonable sized jpg file and upload it, there are two types of links given when you go into that photo's screen. Simply paste one of those links in to the post.

Top link is a pop up expanding one, bottom is full size... do check as modern camera files are HUGE and it's not much fun scrolling for hours just to reach the other side of the screen.

Don't name files like Pic1, car2, img1234 etc as the forum gets confused and often will show someone else's picture instead , pick something like some random words.

[Edited on 16/7/24 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Knumbskull

posted on 16/7/24 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thank's, I will give it a go in the morning, cheers for your help.
Knumbskull

posted on 17/7/24 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hopefully this will load successfully to show my starting point.

[img]http://img]https://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Screenshot_20240717-064017.png[/img[/img]
Sorry if it doesn't as I'm about as good at this as I am with wiring!!!!

Knumbskull

posted on 17/7/24 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like I'm not too good at this either.
Wiring I've removed and partially stripped
is in my photo archive, any pointers really appreciated.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/7/24 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knumbskull
Hopefully this will load successfully to show my starting point.

[img]http://img]https://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Screenshot_20240717-064017.png[/img[/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 17/7/24 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
No worries, just match the format below -

Knumbskull

posted on 17/7/24 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thank's for doing that for me, I will try to do the other photo.
Knumbskull

posted on 17/7/24 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote

Hope the image of removed and partially stripped wiring is now showing, any pointers or advice appreciated

Knumbskull

posted on 17/7/24 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
As you'll see its been quite a time trying to sort through.
Would be so grateful for any help and guidance with what my concerns are please.
1/White 2 spade plug (EARTH CLAMP ON ENGINE) runs to black female 2 socket (ENGINE EARTH CLAMP) this socket
does not attach to anything???
2/Red/black wire ( STARTER RELAY (10) ) and Red/white wire (CDI (17) ) were twisted together, is this correct?
3/Black wire (EARTH?) from cdi 6 pin plug doesn't seem to go anywhere?
4/Black wire (EARTH?) from starter relay doesn't go to anything?
5/Blue/yellow (CLUTCH SWITCH (39) ) goes to 4 pin ignition plug and Black/yellow (CLUTCH SWITCH (39) ) goes to 6 pin blue socket? Shouldn't the 2 be joined???

All seems a total mess, really hope someone with expertise can help guide me as what should go where, etc to hopefully achieve a spark please.Will attach photos in next post. Thanks again for previous help.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.