Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative Power
Dunc

posted on 13/3/02 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative Power

Probably not suitable for a locost but does anybody know much about these electric motor conversions they're offering across the pond? Does anyone do them across here? Just playing with alternative ideas since petrol is set to rise even further. Would sail through the SVA emmisions test!
mephit

posted on 20/3/02 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
Actually, I've been thinking about doing that myself. I need to finish my first electric convesrion first though! As for the Locost, It's small and light, which are both plusses, but there's not much space and the aerodynamics aren't great since it's open topped. Still, with a light transmission and smaller motor, you could easily fit a goodly amount of batteries in it. If you are really interested in going this route, I would suggest subscribing to the Electric Vehicle Discussion List. The main site for the EVDL is http://www.madkatz.com/ev/evlist.html The list maintains worldwide membership, and there are several members who are in GB, so they should be able to point you towards suppliers and such. Since I'm in the US, I can't help you much there.
mephit

posted on 20/3/02 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
One other thing to add. It might be possible to create a hard top for the Locost which would (If properly designed) help the aero issue immensely. You'd need to have a roll bar, and youd probably want to check the frame layout to make sure it can handle stress in that direction. Nothing to say it's not possible though. Might look real smart, too.
bob

posted on 20/3/02 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen the TIGER E cat thingy with lecy motor,its real fast.
Dam thing nearly ran me over at the Brookland museum alternative power day,cant hear it coming.It only makes noise from tyres gripping as it corners.
Price of a built car was a bit w****ield like.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/3/02 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've seen the TIGER E cat thingy with lecy motor,its real fast.
Dam thing nearly ran me over at the Brookland museum alternative power day,cant hear it coming.It only makes noise from tyres gripping as it corners.

A few years back I went to an exhibition at Stoneleigh and had a ride on a replica Stanley steam car (the originals run in the London - Brighton run). At walking speed the car just made a gentle chuff-chuff-chuff and the driver had to sound his horn to get past pedestrians.

Then he got to an open bit of road and opened it up - I have only been in a few cars that got to 50mph faster than that thing! Looked good too - 100 yard sausage-shaped steam cloud left behind...

50mph was the limit as he only had a tiller arm for steering, and one brake in the centre of the solid back axle.

That's what we need in a Locost - maximum torque at 0 rpm!

Dunc

posted on 21/3/02 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
For about £4000 plus vat will get you a kit for electric motor conversion at www.e2v.co.uk

I'm seriously considering this option for a later build, possibly for a new reg, as a means of doing the 50 mile round trip to work. Just think, no more gas bills, just charge it at work, no point using your own electricity is there?

mephit

posted on 22/3/02 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
> just charge it at work, no point using your > own electricity is there?

Depends on whether you decide to pay them for hte electricity or not. If you just plug in and don't get permission or pay, that's stealing. The bosses would be perfectly justified in firing you. Beyond that it's quite rude. Even something as light as the Locost is going to draw several kilowatts to recharge. That costs. Still cheaper than petrol by far and if properlybuilt, reliability is much better than an ICE

Dunc

posted on 22/3/02 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Of course I'd get permission. I don't think I get away with a cable running from a window across a car park for very long without someone noticing. I'd persuade the bosses to see it as being green and that they should support such initiatives. They've done similar things in the past, helps score brownie points with the local councils.
mephit

posted on 22/3/02 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote

Just checking! You can never be sure. In that case, you'd probably be in a better position if you tell them you charge at home as well. Then they don't feel like they are just carrying you. Doesn't mean you actually have to, mind you. ;-) Again, since I'm not in Britain, I can't comment for sure, but many people over here in the States have had difficulties convincing their employers to donate electricity. Most who get permission to charge at work at all track the usage somehow and pay the current rate to the employers for the power. Many are unable to convince people even with the offer to pay. YMMV, however.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.