Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear suspension arms
Hornet

posted on 27/10/02 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Rear suspension arms

I am about to weld the brackets for my rear suspension arms and need help. I remember reading somewhere that the idea is the arms should be horizontal ( as near as possible to the ground and each other) yet the hole centres for the brackets as stated in the book is 146mm and the hole centres on the axle brackets are 110mm ( 36mm of a diff) resulting in a tapered effect.
What have others done?
Thanks in advance..

Highcost builder

posted on 27/10/02 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
i welded both mine at 146mm centres and they work great
David Jenkins

posted on 27/10/02 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
This is another "feature" of the book that confuses...

The spacing should be the same at each end, whatever dimension you choose.

cheers,

David

Hornet

posted on 4/11/02 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
So.......... welded my brackets to chassis at 146mm centres, and now find myself askin the following regarding propshaft brackets...
I assume you still leave the top hole 25mm from the top and the prop shaft in the same position (79mm from the top), thus leaving a long leg on the bottom a distance of 117mm from the prop centre line. Looks kinda out of balance but... is this correct?

JohnFol

posted on 4/11/02 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm at exactly the same point as you, and this is what I did.
1) clamp a plate on the inner edge of the 1" vertical tube you are going to weld the front mounts to. (this gives an exact alignment)
2) position lower mount with hole as per book and tack weld it
3) Now the sneaky bit. Get a rear bracket and bolt it to the one you just tacked on, and bolt a spare one above it. Bit hard to explain, but attached will give you the gist
4) tack weld the top one.
This will give you EXACTLY the same height on the front mounts as the back.
Forget the 25mm. The important thing is symmetry. The trailing arms form a perfect rectangle, and the center line of the axle is half way between holes.

(you will also note the trailing arms grow longer by the page!)

If this isn't clear, drop me a message and I'll do a quick photo.

Hornet

posted on 5/11/02 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Tx m8, a good tip in ensuring your brackets line up.
However, doesnt solve my dilema, If i go with book dimensions of axle brackets then back axle will be in one position, if i go with chassis brackets dimensions the axle will be in a totally different position and may even not leave enough room for coils.
Unless anyone can offer more help, i think i will remove my top brackets already welded onto the chassis at 146mm centres, and re-weld at 110mm as per the book dimensions of the axle brackets.?

chris warden

posted on 5/11/02 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just seen your plea for help, hope this isn't too late.
In my book the centre of the top bracket is 146mm from top of chassis A2 & A1. The centre of bottom bracket is 38mm from top of A2 & A1. Difference is 108mm.
Does this make sence?

Hornet

posted on 6/11/02 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
magic m8, in my book it is 146mm from the centre line of the bottom bracket. I had assumed yesterday that the book really meant 146mm from the base (as per your topic above) so tx for confirming, and bahhhh its too late, looks like the grinder is called for to remove and replace top brackets . Pity my welds are so good
JohnFol

posted on 7/11/02 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I made the trailing arms last night and connected things up using the 146mm hole sizes. I have a problem in that my shocks have a closed length longer than the gap between top and bottom mounts.

(something like 265mm closed with a gap of 248mm)

To make the gap larger I can only move the bottom mount as top is part of chassis. The bottom mount is of course the axle bracket.

I have estimated that using 110mm holes, and retaining the front lower position I gain a gap of 36mm, and should be able to get shocks in.

I intend to check the prop will be aligned with g'box and axle before welding up, as I could also get the same gap by lowering the front mounts.

Moral?
The choice of hole location is effected by the shock absorber length and height of propshaft.

Steve Bird

posted on 7/11/02 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I presume you have the mounting for the shock on top of the axle bracket. Why not put it onthe side if you are running longer shocks?
JohnFol

posted on 8/11/02 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
It will be off set as you suggest, however I am trying to keep the bracket away from the trailing arm bolt.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.