Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: motor mess?
P38Kid

posted on 17/4/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
motor mess?

I just pulled a Mustang 2.3L motor (Pinto) for my build. As I am looking at it I can't help but wonder what I can do about removal of a lot of junk. I have vacuum lines running everywhere, coolant lines running around the back of the motor to tie in with the intake manifold and several sensors and tubing coming from the exhaust manifold? I am hoping that there is a way to rework all of this, perhaps a different carb and manifolds I would like for this engine to look as stripped down and clean as possible.
I would greatly appreciate advice from you guys as most anyone has more experience with this than myself. Oh yeah, I didn't mention I would like to do this as cheaply as possible.

Deckman001

posted on 17/4/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I expect from your discription of the engine that you are in the states, if not sorry,, the extra pipes that you have will probably be for all your emitions and regulations, there are plenty of people on here that have fitted Very similar lumps to their cars with great success, sadly i am not one of them, I'm using a x/flow but others will be in touch soon i'm sure

Jason
oh yeah, good luck !

tks

posted on 17/4/05 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
US Emissions???

I tought that in the US there aren't much emissions restrictions??

cand believe it really with soow much V8 cars etc..and cheap petrol..??

But could still be true

TKS

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/4/05 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks
I tought that in the US there aren't much emissions restrictions??

cand believe it really with soow much V8 cars etc..and cheap petrol..??

But could still be true

TKS

Why do you think that a 6 litre V8 only produces 95BHP?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

NS Dev

posted on 18/4/05 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
The most worrying bit is that the "old" USA tactic for emmissions control seems to have been to reduce breathing capacity of the engine, so why not just fit a smaller bloody engine!!!!

Most of the 70's and early 80's USA emmisions guff actually made engines less efficient and create MORE emmissions per cubic foot of air burnt, they just burnt less air!

P38Kid

posted on 18/4/05 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I should have made myself a bit clearer I am actually looking to remove the emission controls and electronic carb controlls. I like the look of a motor that is stripped down to its simplest form.
Yes the states are not real big on enviromental controls on vehicles, but we are getting better for the newer vehicles. Although Indiana still has no regular emission testing required for current vehicles.

NS Dev

posted on 18/4/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by P38Kid
I just pulled a Mustang 2.3L motor (Pinto) for my build. As I am looking at it I can't help but wonder what I can do about removal of a lot of junk. I have vacuum lines running everywhere, coolant lines running around the back of the motor to tie in with the intake manifold and several sensors and tubing coming from the exhaust manifold? I am hoping that there is a way to rework all of this, perhaps a different carb and manifolds I would like for this engine to look as stripped down and clean as possible.
I would greatly appreciate advice from you guys as most anyone has more experience with this than myself. Oh yeah, I didn't mention I would like to do this as cheaply as possible.

Right, I am not that sure about this engine, is it not the "Lima" engine? Very similar to the pinto but I don't know if the castings are the same??

If they are, then yes, just use what we use in the UK, a manifold to suit a pair of Weber 45 carbs or Dellorto 45 carbs, plus a Pinto electronic distributor and get the advance mechanism re-weighted to suit your application.

Dale

posted on 18/4/05 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I am running the same engine but factory turbocharged. Fairly minimal wiring and coolant lines. As far as I know you can plug the line for the intake maniford. Mine is an 84 and the original cross hatch marks were still in the cylenders and no lip at the top, very durable motor just heavy.

[Edited on 18/4/05 by Dale]

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Dale

posted on 18/4/05 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Messed up on the picture. Going cheaply as possible I would just use the factory fuel injection and the harness can be slimmed down. Copper or stainless cooling lines will clean up the mess quite a bit. The factory injection is quite high- at least with the turbo motor and I assume the N.A. one as well. I plan to make a sheet metal intake to bolt to the lower half of the intake and mount the throtle body beside the block instead of overtop of it. Rescued attachment engine mount.jpg
Rescued attachment engine mount.jpg

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.