Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust Query
DorsetStrider

posted on 4/7/05 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust Query

Ok boys got a quandery for you all.

I've decided to change my plans from Mid engined to front engined. I can do this without too much hassle and it will save a whole load of potential problems BUT..... there's always a "but" isn't there?.....anyway.....

BUT this does present a problem with the exhaust. I really REALLY want to avoid an external exhaust and I'm guessing there won't really be enough room under the car. I have thought of two possible solutions....

1) As the tranmission tunnel is largely going to be empty (the engine is an old alfa 33 so if engine is at the front it will be fwd) how about if I built a sealed tunnel comprising the bottom half of the transmission tunnel and feel the exhaust pipes through there.... the only drawback is how do I avoid heat build up?

2) What about if the exhaust pipes ended at the front sides? a' la spitfire/hurrican aircraft? I was thinking at the bottom imediately behing the front wheels (where some manufactures are currently putting air venty type things)..... pit fall of this idea is that how would Mr SVA man view it?

Any help, advice, suggests or comments always gratefully received.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

MkIndy7

posted on 4/7/05 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure the Mclaren SLR has its exhausts just after the front wheels it should be Ok.

But please please please stick with the RWD not sure what your reasons are for changing your idea but FWD is just so pants!

Guinness

posted on 4/7/05 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about having the silencers inside the bonnet and the exhausts coming out behind the wheels.

Mainly because I'm having a nightmare with getting one made in stainless and that way I could do it in mild (and it wouldn't be seen).

There's loads of room to do it on a BEC and in fact I saw the Toniq boys had done just that with there show car at Stoneleigh, although I don't know if that would pass SVA.

Mike

Triton

posted on 4/7/05 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Guiness,
What engine are you using..If it's a bike motor......take the pipe work the drivers side not down passenger side....that way the primary pipes(downpipes) are not compromised and the secondary jobbies can be made longer which on a bike motor makes more power........
why everyone goes down passenger side with a BEC beats me!!! apart from it's cheap to do

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 4/7/05 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mark

It's a ZZR1100, and I got a lurverly set of titanium downpipes for next to nowt from a scrappy to do just that. But they hit right in the middle of the chassis rail, and I don't fancy chopping that out at this stage.

Unless there is a really good welder / fabricator who'd like to come to Newcastle and do it??

See attached photo's:-

Side View Exhaust Chassis
Side View Exhaust Chassis

Front View
Front View

Do you think this would support the bottom of the engine enough?

Cheers Mike

(sorry for the hijack Dorset)

[Edited on 4/7/05 by Guinness]

Triton

posted on 4/7/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Guiness,
Add the new rails first then chop the ones out that are getting in the way of fitting the downpipes.....this will make your life easier as the bike's downpipes will fit just dandy....about all you will need is a 90degree bend and some extra tube to get it out the other side and down under your ear.......just make sure you wrap the pipe where it gets close to anything.....as they get a tad warm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 4/7/05 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ti pipes will need to be tig welded so mod the chassis and have the benefit of a decent exhaust .....that's what i would do anyway

Mark

Hellfire

posted on 4/7/05 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Guiness,
What engine are you using..If it's a bike motor......take the pipe work the drivers side not down passenger side....that way the primary pipes(downpipes) are not compromised and the secondary jobbies can be made longer which on a bike motor makes more power........
why everyone goes down passenger side with a BEC beats me!!! apart from it's cheap to do

Passenger side is for a few reasons:

They exit straight out the side - keeps heat down.
They exit out the side - keeps headers almost same length as on bike - more power.
I would question your statement where longer pipes means more power... have you any evidence to back this up?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.