Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need smaller radiator! Help!
Mave

posted on 14/7/05 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Need smaller radiator! Help!

I'm looking for a smaller radiator than the Polo unit I have right now. I'm building an MK Indy, with Zetec engine, and I'm making my own bodywork. The nosecone is not particulary narrow; it just continues the lines of the sidepanels. But this doesn't leave enough room for the radiator! It is stuck in the nose, and the nose isn't in its more rearward final position!!! Help!

The main problem is that the bottom of the radiator touches the nose. And I can't get the radiator more to the rear, because the lower exit will touch a chassis tube!

Sooooo, who can help me solve this problem!?!?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 14/7/05 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
My rad's tiny! I'm using one from a Fiat 126 i got down the scrappy. It's small enough that I can tilt it forwards under my nosecone and will be able to totally duct the back of it out the bonnet - so it should get awesome flow through it.

I was a little concerned about using a rad from a 700cc car with a 2.7 turbo, but well, it may be small but it's twin core and about 2" thick with loads of fins. And as mentioned above it will have good airflow which makes a big difference. Oh - and I totally discovered the other day that it's entirely made of copper which must be super awesome for conducting heat away, right? I'm just assuming that the fiat 126 engine is a turd old italian piece of rubish that rejects about 95% of its input energy to the coolant and produces about 3 bhp, therefore requiring an amazing rad. It's probably true.

Liam

piccy...

[Edited on 14/7/05 by Liam] Rescued attachment DSCF0027.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0027.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardR1

posted on 14/7/05 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have used radiator from old shape (K10) Micra 1.0. I think this is common for Indy builders. Fits lovely in the MK cone. Hellfire used same on his if you check out his build diary
pbura

posted on 14/7/05 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Honda Civics have some nice little rads. On dialup right now so getting the measurements would be a bother, but they're under 15" each way IIRC, and some will handle some serious power.

Pete

chrisf

posted on 15/7/05 at 01:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Pete:

I just measured. The Civic rads are 16.5" x 15.5". The can be had for under $60 brand new. The model year is 1995-1998. Make sure you don't get the SI model. Those are wide.

--Chris

pbura

posted on 15/7/05 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the measurements, Chris.

This from your website, very nice:

Pete

Mave

posted on 15/7/05 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses. "Erwe" told me that the Renault Clio rad is quite similar to the Polo, only slighty more narrow, so I'll check that out first (is convenient because it has the same diameter holes and in more or less the same positions).

Marcel

Stu16v

posted on 15/7/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
My rad's tiny! I'm using one from a Fiat 126 i got down the scrappy.

I thought 126's were aircooled???

Dont just build it.....make it!

givemethebighammer

posted on 16/7/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Nissan Micra 1.2L rad (was this different to the 1.0L ?) from a K reg car in my tiger. Very small and copes fine with the 2.0L zetec. Used the original micra fan and fan switch. Car runs at more or less constant 85 - 90 degrees whatever the conditions (using 82 degree stat).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.