Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damn ebay idiot!!
Liam

posted on 23/7/05 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Damn ebay idiot!!

My old man bought a digital camera off ebay. Sellers seemed genuine - username is the couple's names; only 12 feedback (inc one mutually withdrawn -ve) but registered since 2001; honest sounding description.

But the UTTER RETARDS packed a digital camera completely loose in an A3 jiffy bag Unsurprisingly it arrived with a broken screen and we're not best pleased. Ebay says that it can't do anything as it was damaged in transit so buyer protection doesn't apply (although it has occured to me that you'd have to be sooo stupid to pack a digital camera like that it could only have been deliberate and the camera was already broken...).

Dunno what to do. They are not answering emails but the ebay request contact details has given their phone number (presumably). Assuming I get no joy from them is leaving negative feedback really all I can do? Am I likely to have any chance in a small claims court as they were totally negligent with the packaging? On the subject of small claims courts, how do they decide where it takes place? I'm in bedford and they're in edinburgh - would a hearing be down here meaning it'll probably cost them more than they owe me to even attend and so may agree to pay up??

Alternatively, anyone who knows a Steven and Hannah in edinburgh - could you do us a favour and give them a slap. With a crowbar.

GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Knob-heads!!

Any advice appreciated

Liam

[Edited on 23/7/05 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve_gus

posted on 24/7/05 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
you only have to prove a 51% likelyhood that they are guilty.

the cas ehas to be brought in THEIR local court.

Not sure if you can plead the case by letter..... possibly. The one I brought against someone for damaging my property, all parties attended in person.

dunno if the small claims court exists under scottish law...

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tri

posted on 24/7/05 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
i think it does cuz the woman out of changing rooms did one based in glasgow (you could get on tv if they doing an other show) but that is a big think so really no help

Tri

marcyboy

posted on 24/7/05 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
i'll give you some advice !!
don't buy anything off ebay

NS Dev

posted on 24/7/05 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Other option, if you have to admit "defeat", would be to claim it on your house contents insurance (if it's worth more than the excess)

(I'm assuming it didn't have postal insurance cover)

mark chandler

posted on 24/7/05 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of items in dispute with Ebay, One I have completely given up with where the wrong item was delivered, the other when nothing has appeared at all. Both are technological goods, in my case wireless routers. Maybe there's a theme here ! In general if the value is over £50 I collect and pay cash, under £50 accept the risk.
You can save a lot of money, on balance I am up but in over 100 transactions have lost approximately £200 with not as described/inferior goods.

Avoneer

posted on 24/7/05 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
They would have to attend your your local Court if you instigated a claim - this puts most people off.

But like NS Dev said, it may be better to cut your lossess, do the house insurance thing and move on - sh*t happens.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

spunky

posted on 24/7/05 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Cant you go back to e-bay under their buyer protection and say the goods were not as described?
As you say it is possible it was broken before they packaged it.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Jasper

posted on 24/7/05 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Did you pay by Paypal with credit card - if not, you should ALWAYS pay this way and no other - then your credit card company will pull back the money from Paypal for you and act on your behalf.

Was it sent insured? again, always have things sent insured - if not, it really is your problem and I think you will struggle to get your money back.

Mr_B

posted on 24/7/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcyboy
i'll give you some advice !!
don't buy anything off ebay

helpful, and funny at the same time. Cheers.

Sideways

posted on 24/7/05 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I have been an ebayer for about 5/6 years now, have had few different accounts and have only been fleeced once(out of about 300 transactions), and that was by a Yank.
If you have no joy with calling them try checking your credit card (presuming you used one) you may be able to claim through them.

Then resort to the crowbar technique!

smart51

posted on 24/7/05 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a few less-than-satisfactory eBay transactions. Best advice:

1) don't buy on eBay.
2) don't spend more than you're happy to loose.
3) collect goods and inspect before paying.
4) buy using paypal and a credit card
5) don't rely on the eBay protection - chocolate fire guard
6) The general public is made up of idiots, theves, me and you. Me and you are in the minority.
7) make sure you are saving more than a £1 or 2, otherwise, just go to a shop.

turbodisplay

posted on 24/7/05 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
File the paperwork for small claims court. Most people who know they are in the wrong will pay up before it gets to court. If they decide to attend, then you have to think if it is worth you continuing.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Rob Lane

posted on 24/7/05 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry your wrong about small claims court and location.

You file in your court BUT if they challenge they have the right to have it transferred to a court near them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.