Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin Hood, Any good?
Sideways

posted on 30/7/05 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood, Any good?

Just been browsing around RH's new alu lightweight model.

Anyone give me any impressions of this kit or RH in general?

Cheers

0-60 in 14 seconds, time to start a build i guess!

andy d (rizla)

posted on 30/7/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
in my opinion the kits take alot more effort to build due to components not just bolting together,but if you see some of the hoods the build quality is fantastic and a credit to the builders not robin hood

take a look on the owners club website and ask them any questions you wish,they are the best bunch of guys/girls around and theres a fair few of them

http://www.rhocar.org/news.php

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clbarclay

posted on 30/7/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Using the search on this forum do a search for robin hood for past and recent comments.

At the same time a search for cheese grater will get the same results near enough.

[Edited on 30/7/05 by clbarclay]

rusty nuts

posted on 30/7/05 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sideways , where abouts in Cambridge are you? I'm in Shelford
tomm

posted on 31/7/05 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
I owned a dutton for 15 years before buying a robin hood, lets just put it this way the dutton is 1000 times better than the RH, as is the dutton owners club, I got thrown off the robin hood stand at donnington Kit car show a few years back for advising people not to buy a robin hood because of all the difficulties I'd had with the build and 'tricky Dicky' the owner of the Robin Hood company, so yeh it's a cheap kit, but just how many Robin hoods do you see at trackdays etc? They just don't hack it as a performance car, or put another way a sheep in wolfs clothing!!
steve m

posted on 31/7/05 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
"but if you see some of the hoods the build quality is fantastic and a credit to the builders not robin hood"

sorry to disagree but over the years of going to kit car shows for every good RH car their is at least 3 very poorly built/ finished examples

I can not see how some people can build a kit car badly

and over the years i have seen some things that i would not even have parked on my driveway, yet the owners are proud of their creation/abortion

this applies to all of the kit car fraternity including locost !!

a couple of years ago i bought a 911 covin off a friend (he had aquired it due to berevment)
the said car was the worst example of a car i have ever seen it was not built but thrown together in a very bad way (i have the photos if anyone intrested!?

this car had been assembled by an aircraft technician !!
and i hope i never fly an aircraft he had worked on

andy d (rizla)

posted on 31/7/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
tomm,you dont go to many track days then,robinhoods do more than you know,curborough,barkston heath,but to name a couple

the owners club changed chairman a couple of years ago,so the club is now far bigger and better than any other(just look at the show attendance) puts the more upmarket kits to shame
and yep their not a dedicated track car,but they are one of the most comfy on a journey
so you takes your choice

ive owned one,and i know own the vortx,but i will stay a member of their club as they say you dont need to own a hood to be a member just love kit cars
how many other owners clubs are like that

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Petemate

posted on 31/7/05 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All
Andy has it sown up. There are bad examples of any kits to be seen at the shows. Before I went the RH route, I researched thoroughly, changing my mind lots of times. I read the "old" RHOCaR forum extensively, and went into ownership with my eyes open. When I visited the RH stand at Exeter in 2001, I spoke several times to Gina on - she answered all my queries competently and impressed me with her knowledge of the product. Also she urged me to speak to owners on the club stand. This I did, and knew I was going to get involved with a very helpful bunch. In the 3 years + of my build I have not changed my opinion of either product or club. It has been great. The only thing I will say is if I had been a bit younger I may have preferred to go down the Locost route. As I have said before on this forum, I take my hat off to the Locost builders - there are some really smart cars out there. However, my budget/facilities/circumstances have dictated the path I have chosen, and I am happy with the results so far. Watch this space for the inevitable post-SVA comments.....
Petemate

rusty nuts

posted on 31/7/05 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
You have U2U,
Triton

posted on 31/7/05 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Buy something like an MNR,Mac#1,MK,GTS,Leugo as all these are streets ahead on quality.....visit them all then make your own mind up who you want to spend your hard earned with.....people will always have their favoured supplier but it's your money so spend with who you feel happy with.
docter fox

posted on 31/7/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think it depends a lot on what you want from a kitcar. If you want a pure track car then a robin hood isn't the one for you and if you want a luxery car to cruise around in then it definately isn't for you. But if you want a car thats fun to chuck about country roads on a summers day and looks good enough to turn everyones head wherever you go then its ideal!

For me, the cost was one of the deciding factors but I have had so much fun working on and driving it! I love it! I try to get to as many of the shows as I can and mine is always the scruffiest there, but do i care? not at all! I bought it as something that needed a lot of work doing to it, and I'm still doing it. I here people talking about how scruffy my car looks and how they think its a mess, but I dont really care what they think. I dont have the money for a respray or all the things I'd like to finish it and I cant help that, just because I cant afford to have it how I want, doesn't mean I dont enjoy playing with it, I'm doing my 2nd track day with rhocar in september, it may not be track based but its still great fun! A pinto powered robin hood may not seem very quick to many of you on here, but to the majority of people it is, not many 17 year olds can get to 60 in 7 seconds and get as many heads turned so I love it

At the end of the day its up to you but I'd advise having a look around a few cars and speaking to the owners, there are some amazing cars around but you have to do it all yourself so its not easy.

[Edited on 31/7/05 by docter fox]

Jon Ison

posted on 31/7/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
RH are just down road from me, whenever ive gone over there (not been since changed hands) i found them helpfull, would allways chat, ive bought a few bits n bobs off them, you just pick thru and decide whats for you and what is'nt, they did some of the bodywork for me on the "isonblade" to my drawings and it went straight on with no probs for the same price as some supply fibre glass......

Personaly i would'nt build/buy one but it was seeing RHoods around that wet my appatite in the 1st place, there ok, just not my cup of tea

JohnTigerCub

posted on 31/7/05 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hoods

I have owned a Robin Hood 3A
A pre lit Westy and a Tiger.
All good cars for very different reasons.
I have seen very poor examples of all of them, and very good
But when it comes to owners clubs the Hoodies are hard to beat.
They dont care what you drive, it is all about attitude.
If you like cars, like a beer and you are not some anally retentive gobshite berk then you will not find a more friendly knowledgeable or helpfull bunch of kit car nuts

GuyA

posted on 1/8/05 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Sideways, I leve 10 miles SE of Cambridge so I'm probebly not too far from you and I built a Robin Hood a couple of years ago. I enjoyed the experence and learned lots from it. Okay, they don't fit together like an MFI wardrobe and you'll have to do a lot of improvisation but the owners club is Here and is full of all sorts of people who are just nuts about cars.

I'm now building a scratch car called the Cryptkicker but I still frequent the RH pages because it's a good site.

THIS IS MY WWW SITE

britishtrident

posted on 1/8/05 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Important !!!!!!! Please look up previous threads on RH before you part with hard earned money,

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.