Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silencer plans.
DorsetStrider

posted on 20/8/05 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
Silencer plans.

Ok guys here's one for you.

I've been looking at my exhaust and how I'm going to make it work. I want to make my own silencer and was wondering if any of you guys could see a problem with this design?

I should just explain that I want as few bends in the pipes as possible. I should also just point out that this would be a BIG silencer..... somewhere in the regon of 20 inches square by 6 inches deep.

P.S. sorry about the line drawing but I'm not good at using computer graffix packages.

P.P.S. hey looke dI attached my first picture with no help from anybody!!! how good am I..... now what was it they were saying about little things?

[Edited on 20/8/05 by DorsetStrider] Rescued attachment Silencer.JPG
Rescued attachment Silencer.JPG

Who the f**K tightened this up!

niceperson709

posted on 20/8/05 at 03:12 AM Reply With Quote
there is a lot of science in designing a good silencer for an internal combustion engine and it would be hard for those here to give you any advice on your design with out knowing what sort of engine you are going to use and the rason you are so scared of bends .Basicly you want to take enough kinetic energy out of the exhaust gases to make it quiet with out restricting the flow to get the best performance out of your engine.Personally I favor the absorsion type of muffler and for mine I have two in serries along the side of the car this alows the gases to expand but offers very little restriction. Rescued attachment side exhaustjpg.jpg
Rescued attachment side exhaustjpg.jpg

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

quattromike

posted on 20/8/05 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm interested in this subject too as i'm planning on makin a pair of silencers along the rear of my car not much more than 500 (20" each . and would like to understand how to have least restriction but still be sva compliable (is that a word?) .By the way i'm running a vx 20xe if it makes a diffrence.

Mike

DorsetStrider

posted on 21/8/05 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm (probably) going to be using the engine from an old Alfa 33 cloverleaf.

Due to the size of the silencer I don't have much in the way of worries about expansion. My biggest concern is with the pips coming from the engine entering through the bottom of the silencer and then exiting through the rear side.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.